ScapiniMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WW1 Canadian RFC Royal Flying Corps pilot officers named hat w/ photos/documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Canadian RFC Royal Flying Corps pilot officers named hat w/ photos/documents

Hi all!

Just picked this group up from the family and thought it would interest WW1 Aviation, Royal Flying Corps and Canadian military enthusiasts. This a Royal Flying Corps/RAF WW1 officers cap belonging to James Elrick Rettie, and it came with his RFC photo (named on reverse), a 1923 Prince George Hotel banquet menu with his name on it (with him photoed in earlier army uniform), a novelty hollow tourist pyramid picked up in Egypt and a Hindustani language book. I also received a signed provenance document from the family that also listed his military service from Summer 1914 to June 1918, and two copied pages of a book that mention his service overseas.

The officers cap is quite interesting as the badge appears similar to the later WW2 RAF/RCAF badges, although the hat is a Khaki- his name is written on the interior behind the liner. I can't quite make out the manufacture on the interior of the cap however. His banquet booklet lists several of his achievements and has a great poem about his service over Egypt and fighting the Turks. Apparently he was involved in Mesopotamia- flying reconnaissance, artillery support, bombing as well as being involved in strafing missions. He was wounded/found unfit to fly in September 1918 and resigned commission June 1918, coming back to Canada through New York. Interestingly, the first photo of him in the army and the later photo of him in R.F.C. uniform look completely different after only a few years!

If anyone had any information regarding R.F.C. resources, knew about the unit he served in or had any other information I would be grateful. Thanks and enjoy!

Nice grouping!

Comment

Thanks, I hope to find out more about him!

Comment

https://www.findmypast.com/ Have RFC officers papers, great set up

Comment

The listing for him at Library and Archives Canada shows that his information is in the 'Imperial Gratuities' files - ie, Canadians who qualified for UK pensions due to service with the UK forces.

If you want to contact me, I am just going through the Ancestry.ca records, which include the Impwerial Gratuities files, to pull some information. I am not one of those who has paid to be able to post pictures on this forum - my bad! - but would be happy to PM you what I find.

petemonahan@sympatico.ca

Peter Monahan

Comment

He was born in West grafraxa, a tiny hamlet in Weelington County, Ontario, north east of Kitichener, married in Brandon MA in 1924, where he was apparently 'General Manager, Exhibition' and had at least one child. He seems to have been alive as late as 1968.

Comment

Thank you so much guys, this is great information!

Cheers!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X