• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this trade patch?

This one has me stumped ? thanks Rob
    Attached Files
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

IC = Internal Combustion (engine).

An unofficial WWII trades/skills badge worn by British Army Motorcyclists, Despatch Riders and other (Internal Combustion engine) Vehicle Drivers.

Enjoy the hobby, Keith

Comment

Lt. Cdr Talbot-Booth describes them in his 1942 guide book as a 'proficiency badge'. I am not convinced that a British soldier would get away with wearing 'unofficial' badges by his RSM.

Comment

Thank you chaps , its on ebay attached to this . Rob
        Attached Files
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Further to my earlier answer these badges are discussed in detail on p68-69 of 'British Army Uniforms & Insignia of World War Two' by Brian L. Davis.

They ARE described as semi-official but are original and period photos exist of them being worn nevertheless.

Comment

'Semi-official' suggests to me that some units wore them with the permission/connivance of their COs while other units stuck striclty to the dress regulations, during a period when these, having been designed and manufactured, were readily available but not [yet] offcially accpeted. Not exactly a rare phenomenon, as individual soldiers and units ALWAYS wanted to wear alternate or extra marks of disticntion to... well, distinguish them from 'those other chaps'.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X