Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burma star & bar question

Hi
    I do not usually colect post WW1 but this came with other items. I have very little knowledge about these but my gut feelings on this says copy. Please let me have your opinions.The size and weight of the star are OK. What concerns me is the soft detail. Is this just wear?
    Thanks
    Andy
    Attached Files

bar

bar
    Attached Files

Comment

I dont know if its a copy or not, but those lumps between the circle and the G
      are known on real Air Crew and Atlantic stars. I think its a known die flaw? but real medal collectors will tell you if its OK soon, just thought id let you know about that little 'good' flaw.

Comment

Burma Star

The Pacific bar I do not like as the holes should be drilled closer to the scallop corners. With the flaw, I have a Atlantic group and ACE group that have the flaw. Both groups were obtained at different pawn shops many years ago. I don't think the Pawn shops had time to rig up a phoney group. There was no E/Bay then so they had to rely on street sales. They were busy selling their other goods also. This is the first Burma I've seen with the flaw. Many collectors do not want to talk about the flaw because of all the different flaws with the Knights Cross and the contraversary it causes. (If you don't have this flaw its no good Etc.) Does anybody know how the Stars are made ? Are they struck twice or once. IMHO the flawed stars are original until some one shows me the same flaw on a known purchased reproduction. As some say,if your happy with it thats all that matters, but when you go to sell it inform the buyers, about the flaw, and let them decide to purchase or not.
        Attached Files

Comment

The Star looks okay in my opinion, however, I would consider the Pacific bar to be a tailor's copy.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Burma Star

Adam, you'r too kind to those tailors. I call it a repo. I suggest anybody sending their medals to be mounted, not to include original bars. Sew them on yourself. The average veteran does not look at his medals and check for a fake replacement after getting them mounted. He probably wouldn't know the difference but tailors (dealers) in the medal and ribbons sales know the difference.

Comment

For what its worth ... here is my Burma Star:
              Attached Files

Comment

Burma Star

One from my hoard:
                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X