Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arnhem soldier buried 60 years on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4374611.stm

Surely they have made a mistake in the text of the above. Shouldn't it read that he was a member of the Border Regiment and not the Kings Royal Border Regiment as that did not come into existance until 1959??

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them"
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ciaran, you are correct but they are the sucessors to the Border Regt hence them being mentioned.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks Adrian. In the text it states that the soldier in question belonged to Kings Royal Border Regiment and not the Border Regiment. I might have a word with the journalist as they only work in the next room.
        Last edited by Ciaran Byrne; 03-23-2005, 11:06 PM.

Comment

"The failed operation which claimed the life of Pte Foster became known as "The Bridge Too Far"."

Umm, doesnt he mean the movie? I have never heard of the operation NAMED "A bridge too far".

Originally posted by Ciaran Byrne
          Thanks Aidrian. In the text it states that the soldier in question belonged to Kings Royal Border Regiment and not the Border Regiment. I might have a word with the journalist as they only work in the next room.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier
            "The failed operation which claimed the life of Pte Foster became known as "The Bridge Too Far"."

Umm, doesnt he mean the movie? I have never heard of the operation NAMED "A bridge too far".
            I have just changed the two glaring errors on the BBC website.

Ahh the joys of doing technical support for the BBC NewsOnline website. Its not the first time I have corrected military errors on the website.

Comment

I'm glad that Pte Foster had a decent burial at last, must be an incredible relief for the family as well.

I visited the Dutch army unit back in '93 that identifies mortal remains of soldiers, dirty but grateful work. They had just managed to id an airborne soldier by the name of his fiance inscribed in his ring!
              Cheers, Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X