WW1 British Tank Crew Chain Mail Mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 British Tank Crew Chain Mail Mask

This arrived in the mail today, just in time for the 100th anniversary of the start of the Battle of Cambrai (Nov. 20 - Dec. 7 1917).

The mask has seen heavy wear but it's complete and the condition is not nearly as fragile as it might appear to be in the pictures. These pictures were taken by the seller.

Opinions and comments are welcome.

Thanks

Hans
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I believe around 2000 were issued to French crews.
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Wow that’s incredible! I have not seen one before. The Americans had a steel plate for face protection.

Comment

The masks are scarce but not really as rare as you might think, although it's taken me many years to find one in this condition. A total of 22000 were manufactured by war's end. Pictures of these in use however really do seem to be very rare.

They were designed to protect the face and eyes (as much as possible) from metal and even paint fragments dislodged from the interior hull caused by non-penetrating impact strikes - especially MG fire - and a variety of other dangers inside the early tanks which could do serious damage to an unprotected head and face. They weren't meant to protect against serious projectiles however.
                Last edited by Hans K.; 11-20-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

That looks like a good one, Hans! I'm sure you know that these are being re-made now, but this one , from the wear and the details of the stitiching and so on, looks good to my non-expert eye. Well done to find it!

Peter

P.S. 'Ontario'?

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
                    I'm sure you know that these are being re-made now, but this one , from the wear and the details of the stitiching and so on, looks good to my non-expert eye.
                    P.S. 'Ontario'?
                    Yes, in the K-W area. I often have a table at the Etobicoke Olympium show in case you've been to that one. I usually have some sort of German WW1 display along with items for sale.

I do know that these are being remade now, and rather well, although you can't convincingly fake this sort of thing as far as age and wear are concerned.

This is a good copy. It would be worthwhile comparing this with an original side by side.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Hans K.; 11-21-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

...although some repros are not as convincingly made...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Hans K.; 11-21-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

...and the outright fakes you find on eBay and elsewhere (for now) are mostly quite horrid affairs, thankfully.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ah! Didint; realize they were being done 'over here' too. I've seen one of the ones in post #11, I think. I work with a group called 'History Matters', presenting to school groups in your area and we have one for our 'French tanker' but not sure where it was made. Good to know!

Comment

I honestly don't know where these are being made. The repros above are just some examples that I found online. My tank crew mask will also soon be appearing in local Grade 10 history classes. A friend of mine and I set up displays and give WW1 presentations at local high schools.

Comment

Another picture showing a French Tank Crew wearing these masks.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X