Lord Lovat holster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lord Lovat holster?

I was looking for display a type of a holster that can be seen of famous pictures taken after the Dieppe raid in 1942. I have found this. What is Your opinion?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pzo; 11-20-2017, 04:23 PM. Reason: Added a letter

Lord Lovat and his outfit...
    Attached Files

Comment

This is my bust with partial reconstruction.
      Attached Files

Comment

These holsters were commonly adapted when an auto pistol was being used.

Having said that they are hard to authenticate without provenance

To give you an idea I sold one with SAS provenance last year for £500

Comment

Originally posted by pzo View Post
          I was looking for display a type of a holster that can be seen of famous pictures taken after the Dieppe raid in 1942. I have found this. What is Your opinion?
          Hi "pzo"

Fist of all, as a Dieppe raid collector, I can only rejoice to see a display of Lord Lovat the 19th of August 1942

As truly said by Jack these holsters have been adapted to auto pistols sometimes and in the case of Lord Lovat during the "Cauldron" operation the 19th of august 1942, it was for a 1911 Colt, reason of the longer added webb magazine than on the one you posted...but frankly the one you found is very good to display a Dieppe Lovat bust even if it's lightly different...there are not so common and not easy to find...so take it if it's not already made!

As the Dieppe Raid is my collection theme, I realised this last summer for a large exhibition I managed for the 75 th anniversary of the event, a Lord "Shimi" Lovat mannequin for which the only thing I didn't find in time was precisely the modified holster...

For all members of the N°4 Commando, the Denim Suit with Cap Comforter were used for this operation and, as you well displayed it on your bust, the Lord Lovat Denim jacket have the collar tucked inside. Under this jacket, Lord Lovat worn a light kaki green shirt with a personnal off-white shetland sweater over. His civilian velvet corduroy pants was also a personnal use, worn with the rubber sole vulcanized commando boots and blancoated gaitors (green blancoated as per all the webbing; belt, straps, pouche, holster, etc...). On the superb photos taken in the docks of New haven, Lord lovat have no more his cap comforter but he landed with and have left it on barbel wire when he crosses the first defense of the beach of Sainte Marguerite sur Mer (Orange Beach II), at the beginning of the Cauldron Operation.

Here is my attempt to display Lord Lovat the 19th of august 1942
          (Since these pictures I added a fake-real moustache with real hair instead of no relief painted one, and which gives him a more closer realistic look)

Best From Dieppe to Poland !
          Thierry

Comment

Slightly off topic, but what gun is Lord Lovat holding in the original photo? It might get be my eyes or the angle of the picture but the gun looks too long for a Thompson and too short for a rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimebox View Post
              Slightly off topic, but what gun is Lord Lovat holding in the original photo? It might get be my eyes or the angle of the picture but the gun looks too long for a Thompson and too short for a rifle.
              Its none of them as you trully remark but his personal hunting carbine rifle, normally 22 long rifle but rechambered in 303 caliber

Thierry

Comment

Originally posted by JUBILEE42 View Post
                Its none of them as you trully remark but his personal hunting carbine rifle, normally 22 long rifle but rechambered in 303 caliber

Thierry

...A Mannlicher hunting carbine to be precise...

Comment

Ah! Sporting rifle! I'm sure i recall, as a teen reading that it was a shotgun - mostly because there was an editorial note that the germans would have taken a dim view of such a weapon. And, of course, personal piper following!

Comment

Many thanks Thierry. Your knowledge on this subject is second to none

Comment

Originally posted by Grimebox View Post
                      According to my research Lord Lovat at this time was carrying Winchester Model 70. I am sure private purchase sporting rifle but with military sling.

Comment

Hi Thierry,
                        Thanks to You I have received the most impressive reply to my post in my WAF history! Thank You very much. You have outstanding knowledge and competence. The magazine pouch on my holster had been sewn higher than on the holster from the picture but I think it is still the same size. The life saving belt is not of any of Newhaven pictures of Lord Lovat but I would love to have it. I also need at least 1942 dated rifle sling. Many thanks Thierry and happy collecting.

Comment

Originally posted by pzo View Post
                          According to my research Lord Lovat at this time was carrying Winchester Model 70. I am sure private purchase sporting rifle but with military sling.
                          As such for me! it's clearly a Winchester carbine model 70 / 1937 as per we can see on that other famous photo (here a close-up). Thierry

Comment

Originally posted by JUBILEE42 View Post
                            As such for me! it's clearly a Winchester carbine model 70 / 1937 as per we can see on that other famous photo (here a close-up). Thierry

What we can say, the Winchester 70 rifle, is at least modified by adding bigger, brass butt plate, probably with Lord Lovat's name on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts View Post
                              These holsters were commonly adapted when an auto pistol was being used.

Having said that they are hard to authenticate without provenance

To give you an idea I sold one with SAS provenance last year for £500
                              Thanks for Your input. Great sum for webbing holster! I have no provenance for my holster. I bought it from regular militaria dealer in Poland. He said, he bought it on some militaria fair in Germany. No clue where it came from. I paid 50 Euro. Securing snap rivet on my holster is marked exactly the same way as my regular MECo Holster 1940 dated: 17601 and three stars.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X