Need Help With This Whistle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help With This Whistle.

I picked this up recently and I have seen whistles with other marks than this one. I have seen the escargot style and a couple like this that just had N. S. Meyer. I did see a post that someone else had done that had 5 British Military marks from WW2 that were very similar as far as the loop was made that made me think this was a WW2 whistle. So any help would be greatly appreciated appreciated for time period and maker.
    Attached Files

A better shot of the shield.
    Attached Files

Comment

N S Meyer is/was, of course, a big maker of badges and insignia for the US forces. Here is a site which lists their hallmarks by decade. None exactly the same but perhaps a bit of help.
      http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...6492-ns-meyer/

The style of whistle was common the British and Commonwealth aremd forces and police, so could very well be WWII vintage. The 'escargot' - what my gymn teacher carried - is, i believe a later style.

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
        N S Meyer is/was, of course, a big maker of badges and insignia for the US forces. Here is a site which lists their hallmarks by decade. None exactly the same but perhaps a bit of help.
        http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...6492-ns-meyer/

The style of whistle was common the British and Commonwealth aremd forces and police, so could very well be WWII vintage. The 'escargot' - what my gymn teacher carried - is, i believe a later style.
        Thanks and I have read that some whistles were made in England and shipped with a different company name but still had (Made in England) on it. I pretty sure I seen the escargot style with that type of marking. And I did a lot of looking at different makers from England and the only one I found that makes this exact style that I have is J. Hudson & Co. l have seen a lot of whistles from that company that match more than others. I really doubt N S Meyer made this in England but was ordered. I do find it odd that I have not seen any style of this whistle with the N. S. Meyer marking so would this make it kind of rare?

Comment

Sounds as if you know more about it thsan I do, James. But I would guess that 'made in England' by a US company would be fairly unusual, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
            Sounds as if you know more about it thsan I do, James. But I would guess that 'made in England' by a US company would be fairly unusual, yes.
            There is a website that has a lot on J. Hudon & Co so I might try to contact them to see what kind of information they can provide. I myself have never seen anything like this except in jewelry with English markings and the American company that ordered them to be made.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X