MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British War Medal: 1918-1918 Researching Holder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British War Medal: 1918-1918 Researching Holder?

Hi Everyone,

It has been a long time since I posted and had to create a new account but after several years off the forums, it is good to be back!

I thought, why not jump right in with a question !

My main focus is coins and WW1/2 Germany, but in a collection I picked up was a WWI British War Victory Medal 1914-1918.

No ribbon, just the medal but the rim is stamped:

2499723 A. CPL L. C. Spangler C.R.T.

I am assuming that it is to Corporal Spangler and his service number but could anyone fill in the blanks and is it possible to obtain more of his service history?

Thank you in advance,

Vinnie

As far as I know, 'C.R.T.' stands for Canadian Railway Troops.

Comment

Hi John,

I was starting to lean towards that - thank you much!

Comment

Charles Lloyd Spangler - initially entered as 'Lloyd Charles' but corrected later in several places on his papers - was a cook, 34 years 3 months old, when he enlisted in January, 1918 in Toronto, in the '2nd Railway Const. Depot.' He was born in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan but living in Kansas City whn he came home to enlist. The confusion in the name probably explains why the medal is wrongly named.

Spangler was 5'5"" tall, with black hair, brown eyes and a 'Dark' complexion, which may or may not have meant that he was Black, as that descriptor was also used for 'swarthy' Italians and so on. He had several scars on his body and failed his first hearing test due to wax in his ears but was passed 'Medically fit'.

He appears to have survivied the war.

The Archives in Ottawa is in the process of digitizing all the CEF records and have gotten to 'Russell' this month, so Spangler's complete file - attetestation, discharge, pay and medical records - should be available by the New Year. If you want to PM me I can send you copies of his attestation papers now.

Comment

Hi Peter,

That is very kind of you and thank you for the help! PM is on the way!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X