Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D.Day N°6 Beach Group MKII, flashed to the 27th Armoured Brigade

Hi to All

Just found some days ago at Rouen from a man of who kept it since 73 years (he was 14 in 1944), this nice Beach group MKII was far from its first landing point, Sword Beach but plausible as some members of the Beach Group, who joined different invasion British units after that the Beach tasks were ended, helped to rebuilt the harbour of Rouen after the liberation during around 6 month from September 1944 until beginning of 1945.

A Beach group helmet is always desirable but that one have something special that I firstly took for a kind of spot or a badly painted "3" maybe a "S" but after looking closely I realised that it was a painted "seahorse" with the same design as the insignia of the 27th British Armoured Brigade, equipped with Sherman Duplex Drive tanks, landed on Sword Beach, June 6, 1944 and supported by N°6 Beach Group units.

A Beach Group helmet with added insignia is already quite scarce but that one particularly I presume...a good catch indeed.

Best to All
    Thierry

(This helmet has been thoroughly dusted by its previous owner but without disassembly and looks oiled but is not, the photos taken with a setting sun give it a brighter appearance than it actually has)

The 27th Independant Armoured Brigade SeaHorse insignia

Inside...liner have been covered by French 40's newspapers to protect the head from the "sticking" liner fabric (I already saw this on British/Canadian WWII Helmets)

Shell ROCO 1940 with Liner TTC 1940

It looks like you have made yet another exceptional catch as can only be made when you actually live in the battlefield area.

JL

Comment

Just perfect. I love it. It represents my favourite kind of findings. Congratulations

Comment

Excellent! The French newsprint stuck to the old leather is a beautiful bonus.

I must sya, though, I'm not sure I'd have wanted to be the bloke with the bright white band round his head if anybody were shooting at the beach! Brave men. The rest got off the beach as quick as could be, but these lads stayed on and on.

Comment

congrats on a nice helmet

Comment

Very nice!

P

Comment

Superb, what a find.

Comment

Very historic helmet
                Perfect

Comment

A wonderfull piece of history!

Comment

Nice helmet but pse don't stretch the chin strap over the brim, it is a terrible collectors habit that wrecks the springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
                      Nice helmet but pse don't stretch the chin strap over the brim, it is a terrible collectors habit that wrecks the springs.
                      Hello Sieigfried,

The chinstrap was already positioned as this when it have been found...as it was for many.

Best
                      Thierry

Comment

Hi,

many thanks for showing, very interesting. And super sharp photos.

regards

macleod

Comment

Great MKII Thierry,

Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by JUBILEE42 View Post
                            Hello Sieigfried,

The chinstrap was already positioned as this when it have been found...as it was for many.

Best
                            Thierry
                            That may be the case - but it still wrecks the strap regardless!

Comment

Wow, what a fine example of military headgear. That helmet just oozes history.

Matthew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X