Ok this one got me stumped??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok this one got me stumped??

Most of the Canadain Great War Pers Files are now digitized.

So been buzzing about a number of recored of intrest to me and came across an abbreviation that I have never seen before.

So anyone out there seen this one before on a Canadian Great War NoK card (L.L. 94594)

Relationship To Solider R.N.S.

So what is R.N.S. ???

It is no a unit or alike as this is a Next of Kin card I have seen all sorts in that space such as Mtr, M, MT, Mo etc for mother and all kinds of others but have never came across R.N.S. till now?

'Relationship Not Stated'.

Probably a friend, male or female, or a work mate. Not unheard of, particularly among the many Barnardo Boys who enlisted in the CEF.

One lad from my area enlisted 3 times before they'd take him and keep him. And died Nov. 11, 1918. On his first attestation NoK is 'Mrs. Smith, 00 West Street, Orillia, Ontario' - almost certainly his landlady or employer. On the next two it is a man in Tottenham, Ontario described as 'friend'. Also have a record for a bartender from Toronto whose NoK is a young lady who shares his address, presumably a rooming house. No info. as to relationship given.

Comment

Relationship Not Stated

Thanks that makes perfect sensee. I was pouring over about 300 such docs last night and the closest I came was RPS (Rural Postal Station) which was not directly in the Relationshid field but cleary part of the address.

The actaulay relationsip to the soilder in question was most likely his mother's brother (mother had died before the war) as the madien name is the same and the address matches up to a peson living at the address given.

Also from some family history I have he was estranged from his father bothers/sisters at the time living at his uncle's farm.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X