British WW1 Sergeants Uniform Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British WW1 Sergeants Uniform Question

I have to go look at a WW1 British Rifle Regiment tunic, pants, cap, and leggings that is in a local family estate. I have no idea of the value to make a fair offer. It has some small mothing and the cloth billed visor hat is missing the badge. There is a sergeant rank chevron on the sleeve. Any help is appreciated.

I will try to poet photos when I get over to see it.

Thank you,
    Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Hi Bob

We would definitely need some further information and some photographs for sure.

For example do you know if the uniform is of the 1902 pattern khaki Service Dress that was worn in the trenches? Or is it a non combat type?

If it is 1902 pattern and dated WW1 and includes the original trousers etc it could be very valuable as a complete set. I’m a little out of touch with these things but couldn’t see it being worth less than $1500

Thanks
    Jack

Comment

Yes, it is wool four pocket in a brown beige color. The material is heavy. Where would I look for dates in the tunic and pants?

Thank you,
      Bob

Comment

Hi again Bob

With British items of that era there was a paper label with the manufacturer, size and date details on and also there will be a WD (War Department) stamp with some information on.

The paper label is likely to be missing, especially on the trousers. If of the correct 1902 pattern that is good news even if labels and stamps are missing. This pattern was used during WW1 and wasn’t changed until 1922 (correct me if I’m wrong guys)

Regards
        Jack

Comment

Very expensive stuff , not like the WW1 US stuff that is very common , Brit WW1 stuff is very sort after, good luck, of course it could be reenactors stuff . Photos are always useful . Rob
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hi Bob, Photos of the inside of the two top pocket flaps and under the collar will tell you most of what you need to know regarding its authenticity Jim

Comment

Here is the ribbon bar
              Attached Files

Comment

Upoer and lower pocket flaps
                Attached Files

Comment

Marking inside and underside of collar
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is a quick photo. I will post better ohotos tomorrow. There is also an overcoat.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Lovely! The MM ribbon is a nice addition to the usual three as well and the jodhpur style trousers with the lacing at the ankle suggest moiunted duties, so could have been cavalry or, more likely, a gunner or in one of the service units - RASC, ammunition columsn of the RA, etc.

Comment

As you say the buttons are for a Rifle or light Infanty unit (black) so a calvary unit is ruled out so I would say the pair are not orginal to each other but who knows.

Can we see a close up of the rank on the sleve up to the shoulder. Might be able to see if something else was attached.

As well andy info the backside of the buttons may help

Does the cap have any label on it??

Comment

There are 4 hokes where something was mounted over each sergeant strioes. There are also holes on the wearers left lower sleeve where something was mounted.

I will post more photos and details today.

Bob Hritz
                          Attached Files

Comment

Some quickie photos of the greatcoat
                            Attached Files

Comment

More greatcoat
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X