Queen's South Africa Medal info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queen's South Africa Medal info please

I was around an old family friends house the other day and spotted this medal randomly hanging on the wall in the corner of a room gathering dust, I was was told it belonged to a family relative, but other than the name on the medal they nknew very little.
    Anyway I said I'd try to get some info, so can someone tell me something about this medal, are they sought after or still quite common? any help greatly appreciated.

Thankyou
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Lovely patina please don't clean it , Its all about the regiment , this has some nice bars probably worth $150 or there abouts IMO Rob
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Good looking medal.

I have looked on the Medal Rolls on Ancestry. The 5 clasps are correct.

Cook was also issued the Kings South Africa Medal with clasps South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902.

Comment

Two of the bars - Tugela Heights & Relief of Ladysmith - are not nearly as coomon as the 'state' bars and will increase the value of the medal a good bit. Medals with those two bars seem to be selling for $400-$600 dollars [US] on some lists.

Comment

Quoted price seems a bit low,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queens-Sou....c100506.m3226

Comment

Originally posted by welrod_man View Post
                The antiques storehouse are you kidding ! he's the most expensive dealer on planet Earth and sells some crap as well . Cant believe he actually sells anything lol . Rob

Comment

The ones selling round here with that combination of bars is likely to be in excess of £150. A local auction house is quoting one with 4 bars, including Tugela Heights and Relief of Ladysmith, as between £100 and £200.

As mentioned, lovely patina!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
                    The antiques storehouse are you kidding ! he's the most expensive dealer on planet Earth and sells some crap as well . Cant believe he actually sells anything lol . Rob
                    Fair enough, not my area of collecting, but a simple google search illustrates the quoted price as a lowball.

Comment

Yes but I didn’t do a google search I just answered the guys question and gave him a reply, and don’t accuse me of lowballing you knob. Rob

Comment

Thank you very much for all comments most helpful. Interestingly I asked about other medals and was told there were other medals, but they were split between the family, so that would explain why the King's one isn't with it. I will remind them not to clean it!!!
                        And again thank you.

Comment

A fascinating thing with this medal is that the war was thought to be over in 1900 but in fact the Boer war continued until 1902.but the date on the reverse says 1898 to 1900. Only a few medals were awarded with the "1898-1900" intact, on the rest the dates were removed. On most you medals the dates aren't as visible as on the one you show

Cheers Thomas

Comment

Did a search on Cook and Somerset light infantry and found a 1WW record of a Arthur Cook in the same regiment. https://somersetremembers.wordpress....ight-infantry/

Cheers Thomas

Comment

I was going to comment that he might well have WWI service also, if there were 'other medals'.

The dates were ground and polished off the first run of the QSA and are invisible on a polished medal, but sometimes show up - as here - when the medal 'tones'. Another argument for not cleaning old gongs!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X