First VC since Falklands awarded...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First VC since Falklands awarded...

I put a notice up in Die Kneipe, but for those of you who don't imbibe...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4358921.stm

and

http://www.news.mod.uk/news_headline...wsItem_id=3169

Originally posted by Greeves
    I put a notice up in Die Kneipe, but for those of you who don't imbibe...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4358921.stm

and

http://www.news.mod.uk/news_headline...wsItem_id=3169
    Wow .. great story and hats off to the Private. Good for him

Comment

Well done that man. If you read some of the recipiant's stories of their exploits whilst winning the VC then this is surely up there with the rest of them them.
      This award is not given out lightly and to earn it is no fluke. You have to be braver than brave.

hats off to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran Byrne
        Well done that man. If you read some of the recipiant's stories of their exploits whilst winning the VC then this is surely up there with the rest of them them.
        This award is not given out lightly and to earn it is no fluke. You have to be braver than brave.

hats off to him.

Here Here,

I think It shows great courage and conviction for a young immigrant man simply to join his adopted countries armed forces. To then aquit himself with such valour is truly outstanding. I think this lad is an example to us all and a real encouragement to other minorities within the Services!

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Well said Guy, Pte Beharry, the twelve members of the Black Watch including one Fijian and all the other military honoured are deserving without any reservation.

However as ever don't be under any illusions as to the political nature of the selection of individuals for awards. These unprecedented awards in modern times are heavily weighted to the junior ranks at a time when many junior ranks are being put on trial on allegations of war crimes (but no officers). When bullying within training depots is being investigated and when recruiting in many military trades is in crisis.

It is interesting also that the awards are heavily weighted to a unit that is amongst those which are being amalgamated and that this is now going to be heavily contested in the upcoming general election.

Also ethnic minorities are unfortunately currently heavily under represented in the British Army in part due to the fear of racism and also in part due to doubts about the American war on terror.

I repeat all of those awarded are without a doubt deserving, but I do not believe the choices are made in a vacuum.

Comment

A very brave lad, no question!!!

Having served with the British Black Watch and quite a few Fijians in that regiment...I have nothing but good things to say about them. Top chaps all around in my experience and very good soldiers.

Hats off to a gallant soldier, those boys are going through some tough slogging...no question there.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

When is a VC not a VC? When it's a PC.

I was having a meal the other night with several friends, some of whom are still serving, and this subject popped up. Whilst we all agreed on the bloke deserving his medal, we also agreed on whether 'other' factors were behind such a high profile award.

Twenty years ago nobody would have batted an eyelid if a Gurkha had've won one on Mt. Harriet; but a lot has changed since then, and the corrosive nature of political correctness has permeated every quarter of society, and in doing so, has sown the seeds of cynicism - to the point where even myself (if I'm going to be completely honest) have doubts. The army has targets to meet - ones that have been imposed on it by a government ultra-keen to be seen to be diverse & multi-cultural.

The fact that the British Army has been multi-cultural for years escapes them. The army also has a shortfall in recruits - ethnic or otherwise. It's also had some very damaging coverage over the Iraqi prisoner abuse business, and more so over the last couple of weeks concerning rape allegations by members of the Household Cavalry. So this is all very timely, and packaged so beautifully that I wouldn't be surprised if it came from the hand of Alistair Campbell himself - the (not so) former spin meister of the all encompassing Bliar octopus. Black? Immigrant? VC? Perfect!

The very nature of the conditions which blokes are operating under in Iraq dictate that things get very scary, very quickly, and very often. The adage that the march of technology is reducing the chances of being in a VC action does not appear to carry much weight in such a dangerous urban enviroment. There has already been a crop of gallantry awards: CGCs, MCs and numerous commendations & mentions, and I'm sure there has already been actions worthy of a VC. How one quantifies gallantry I still do not know. Is an MC less of an action than Beharry's.

One thing is certain though, whilst some people see a brave individual who delivered when it counted, some see a black face and an opportunity to be exploited. I'm not sure what I believe anymore, and all thanks to eight years of lies, mendacity, and a war with questionable motives.

Comment

Point taken Tone. You can't deny the bloke was couragous, though. I do see you point. It does make it a perfect recruitment advertisment for ethnic minorites. It is nothing new though. I know there was a recruiting poster for the Irish Guards during World War one with an image of Michael O'Leary VC winning the VC with the caption "IRISHMEN. HAVE YOU NO WISH TO EMMULATE YOUR FELLOW COUNTRYMAN?"
                I think there was a case of a bloke recently performing similar act who was also injured when their APC came under freindly fire from the yanks. He saved several people and was only awarded the George Medal. It was stated that he would have qualified for a VC if he had been under enemy fire but seeing as it was freindly fire then he did not qualify.
                One wonders if he had have been under enemy fire whether he would have been awarded a VC or not. We can but ponder.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X