British Album Africa Desert/Tobruk/El Alamain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee,

Thanks! I really like them myself. I have over 300 German photo albums and about 20 GI albums but this is my first British photo album.

Ciaran,

You are right...I can only imagine that water and food were much more precious and sought after amongst the dearly departed soldiers possessions in the desert.

Afrika,

Were you able to find that patch. I looked through the link provided but could not find that patch.

Bill

Comment

Bill,
      I think Chris B's research is correct, its definately the guy he lists. BUT, the colur patch he wears is upside down. It should be red over blue, for either Royal Australian Artillery, 1st Aust.Corps, 1940-1945, OR for 1st Aust. Anti-Aircraft Brigade, 1940-1942. The nominal role suggests the latter, and specifically the 2/1st AA. Regt. If this is the case, then maybe, as it was a shared patch, there was a unit decision to turn the patch upside down as a distinction from the rest of the brigade?
      He enlisted in 1940, so has seen overseas service with the 1st Aust AA Bde. This unit returned to Australia in early 1942, and dispersed to operational areas, one of these being Darwin. The Brigades HQ element became HQ AA defences for the New South Wales Lines of Communications area. In 1942, the MGRA directed that the continued use of this patch was unauthorised, so maybe this photo was taken after 1943?

ref. "Distinguishing Colour Patches of the Australian Military Forces 1915-51" by Keith Glyde 1999. Page 88 no. 104. ISBN 0-6460-36640-8

Aussie army numbers starting with WX meant that they were 2nd AIF men enlisting in Western Australia. They would probably be from the 2/28 Battalion, which was captured in large numbers on Ruweisat Ridge in '42. I would be very interested to know from your research if this proves to be correct.
      Hope this all helps Guys,
      Steve

Comment

This is that patch, here for the left sleeve. The bottom edge should be horizontal, I should have taken the picture correctly !

Comment

ChrisB Thanks again for the Aussie link and it has helped me identify the true owners of the Tropical khaki shorts captured by a LW Flak NCO in Afrika.

Steve,

Here is the information that popped up when I inserted their service numbers into the search engine. It appears Private Thomas escaped capture and could have been wounded badly enough to be discharged in 1943 (over two years before the war was to end). Private Ferguson became a POW. Lance Corporal Moorey was KIA. - Bill

<TABLE class=nristabletextborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center summary="A table providing service record information for a WW2 veteran." border=0><TBODY><TR><TH class=nristabletitle align=left width="100%" colSpan=2></TH></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left width="40%">Name</TH><TD class=nristablerow width="60%">THOMAS, WILLIAM CHARLES </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Service</TH><TD class=nristablerow>Australian Army </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Service Number</TH><TD class=nristablerow>WX2431 </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Date of Birth</TH><TD class=nristablerow>9 Oct 1909</TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Place of Birth</TH><TD class=nristablerow>SOUTH WALES, WALES </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Date of Enlistment</TH><TD class=nristablerow>26 Apr 1940 </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Locality on Enlistment</TH><TD class=nristablerow>WILUNA, WA </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Place of Enlistment</TH><TD class=nristablerow>NORTHAM, WA </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Next of Kin</TH><TD class=nristablerow>THOMAS, JOHN </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Date of Discharge</TH><TD class=nristablerow>7 Jun 1943</TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Rank</TH><TD class=nristablerow>Private </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Posting at Discharge</TH><TD class=nristablerow>19 INF BN COMP TNG BN </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>WW2 Honours and Gallantry</TH><TD class=nristablerow>None for display</TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Prisoner of War </TH><TD class=nristablerow>No </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
          Last edited by W Petz; 03-18-2005, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Here is the second Aussie

<TABLE class=nristabletextborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center summary="A table providing service record information for a WW2 veteran." border=0><TBODY><TR><TH class=nristabletitle align=left width="100%" colSpan=2><TABLE class=nristabletextborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center summary="A table providing service record information for a WW2 veteran." border=0><TBODY><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left width="40%"></TH><TD class=nristablerow width="60%">FERGUSON, DONALD </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Service</TH><TD class=nristablerow>Australian Army </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Service Number</TH><TD class=nristablerow>WX2382 </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Date </TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TH></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left width="40%">Name</TH><TD class=nristablerow width="60%">FERGUSON, DONALD </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Service</TH><TD class=nristablerow>Australian Army </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Service Number</TH><TD class=nristablerow>WX2382 </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Date of Birth</TH><TD class=nristablerow>20 Feb 1919</TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Place of Birth</TH><TD class=nristablerow>YORK, WA </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Date of Enlistment</TH><TD class=nristablerow>26 Apr 1940 </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Locality on Enlistment</TH><TD class=nristablerow>BIG BELL </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Place of Enlistment</TH><TD class=nristablerow>NORTHAM, WA </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Next of Kin</TH><TD class=nristablerow>FERGUSON, MARY </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Date of Discharge</TH><TD class=nristablerow>29 Nov 1945</TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Rank</TH><TD class=nristablerow>Private </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Posting at Discharge</TH><TD class=nristablerow>3 REINF 2/11 BN </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>WW2 Honours and Gallantry</TH><TD class=nristablerow>None for display</TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Prisoner of War</TH><TD class=nristablerow>Yes </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

Here is the third Aussie

<TABLE class=nristabletextborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center summary="A table providing service record information for a WW2 veteran." border=0><TBODY><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left width="40%">Name</TH><TD class=nristablerow width="60%">MOOREY, RAYMOND CECIL </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
              <TABLE class=nristabletextborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center summary="A table providing service record information for a WW2 veteran." border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=nristablerow width="60%"></TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Service</TH><TD class=nristablerow>Australian Army </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Service Number</TH><TD class=nristablerow>WX2318 </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Date of Birth</TH><TD class=nristablerow>26 Feb 1905</TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Place of Birth</TH><TD class=nristablerow>CHRISTCHURCH, ENGLAND </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Date of Enlistment</TH><TD class=nristablerow>25 Apr 1940 </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Locality on Enlistment</TH><TD class=nristablerow>KALGOORLIE, WA </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Place of Enlistment</TH><TD class=nristablerow>NORTHAM, WA </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Next of Kin</TH><TD class=nristablerow>MOOREY, WILLIAM </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Date of Death</TH><TD class=nristablerow>28 May 1941 </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Rank</TH><TD class=nristablerow>Lance Corporal </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Posting on Death</TH><TD class=nristablerow>2/11 AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BATTALION </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>WW2 Honours and Gallantry</TH><TD class=nristablerow>None for display</TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Prisoner of War</TH><TD class=nristablerow>No </TD></TR><TR><TH class=nristablerow align=left>Roll of Honour</TH><TD class=nristablerow>Unknown</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

Steve,

Many thanks for providing your much detailed and informative reply. I believe all three of those Aussies had belonged to the 2/11th Australian Infantry. Do you have any idea where they were fighting on 28 May 1941? Cheers - Bill
                Last edited by W Petz; 03-19-2005, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Thats a great album .I wonder why the Commonwealth troops didnt take many pics ? Rob.
                  God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz
                    Steve,

Many thanks for providing your much detailed and informative reply. I believe all three of those Aussies had belonged to the 2/11th Australian Infantry. Do you have any idea where they were fighting on 28 May 1941? Cheers - Bill
                    Hello again,

Looks like L/Corp Moorey was killed in Crete. Link to Aus war memorial web sight ( the Aussies do have some good web sights):

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/roh.asp

Here is a link to the war diaries (page 13-14 cover the date you are interested in):

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/awm52/8x3.htm

Hope this has been of some use.

Cheers
                    Chris

Comment

Chris,

Once again thank you for the information and links. This actually has turned out to be much more interesting than I originally thought it would. I have a real interest in German Paratroopers and the Kreta operation and now I have some items from Australians that actually fought on Crete against those very same German Paratroopers. Plus I now know that the German LW Flak NCO was on the island of Crete as well. Here I was thinking that they had fought in the Africa campaign. Those daily unit reports are quite interesting as well. No mention of the death or capture of two of the Aussies but I can only imagine that much confusion was going on during the attacks and information was slow to come on casualties until later. Thanks again! - Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X