Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group to Canadian Military Medal winner at Vimy Ridge, wounded in the Somme

Hey all,

I was very excited to receive this group today belonging to Sergeant Arthur Allan Good, 72nd battalion, Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. I got the items from the man's grandson. Good's battalion was disbanded in 1920 following it's service in WW1.

In the group are several photos of Pte Good at the beginning of the war, and Sgt. Good at the end of the war. At the time of his MM awarding, he was a Corporal. As cited in newspaper clippings, the 72nd Battalion book, and the Canadian archives, he was awarded the Military Medal on July 9th, 1917 for his role in the Battle of Vimy Ridge. Following his action at Vimy, he served in Passchendaele and the Somme, where he was twice wounded.

In the grouping are his Victory medal, his Glengarry cap, several photos and newspaper clippings of him, his discharge certificate, a beautiful carved chalk trench-art piece, and several notebooks in which he wrote notes regarding his training, probably prior to his shipment off to France.

Out of his decorations, I only got his Victory medal, along with all of his remaining items. His Military Medal itself was sold to a collector about 10-15 years ago in British Columbia; however, all of the items that I received today had been packed away and forgotten at the time that the other collector bought the MM. I have briefly searched online to try to find the medal, but to no avail.

I hope you all enjoy this group as much as I did!

Best regards,
    Finn
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Great looking group, hopefully you can re-unite the MM with it. But if not it is still wonderful group.
          Jack

Comment

Lovely crisp photos , the MM would be a great addition ! Rob
            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Here is Private Good's service record: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...dNumber=417620

It will include his attestaion papers, pay and medical records and a list of every unit and place in which he served.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words.

Peter, thanks for linking the service record Now I have a more complete picture.

Finn

Comment

Love the Trench Art.

It that a block of chalk??

Many Canadian's pass thier time in the caves infront of Vimy carving such things in the wall.

Many still there and a few are in the CWM collection and one rarely sees one in a grouping, I think that is only the 2nd time I have seen one over the years

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                    Love the Trench Art.

It that a block of chalk??

Many Canadian's pass thier time in the caves infront of Vimy carving such things in the wall.

Many still there and a few are in the CWM collection and one rarely sees one in a grouping, I think that is only the 2nd time I have seen one over the years
                    Yes, it's chalk! It's probably my favorite part of the grouping

I, too, haven't seen any of these things in private hands....i'm curious as to it's origin - perhaps it was carved from a wall? It's so cleanly chiseled off that it would have initially been carved from at least a very large hunk of chalk, if not out of a wall.

Comment

Cool an orginal most likely and chissiled off either at the time or perhaps he was a Vimy Pigrim and managed to get it then. The other one I have seen was for the RHR was taken during the 1936 dedication by a father and daughter.

Though on second though the battle of Kemmel was at 4th Ypres after Vimy so most likly not knocked out off a cave wall, Just made like other trench art in spare time.

CWM has a new exhibit on it going on now

They would love to see this one. Drop them a line.
                      Last edited by byterock; 08-03-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I saw this group a few yrs back.
                        My research on the tile back then was that it was a reunion item.
                        Not 100% but it seemed to make sense at the time.

Great photos though, the hospital group one is super.

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                          Cool an orginal most likely and chissiled off either at the time or perhaps he was a Vimy Pigrim and managed to get it then. The other one I have seen was for the RHR was taken during the 1936 dedication by a father and daughter.

Though on second though the battle of Kemmel was at 4th Ypres after Vimy so most likly not knocked out off a cave wall, Just made like other trench art in spare time.

CWM has a new exhibit on it going on now

They would love to see this one. Drop them a line.
                          Very interesting. I agree with you, it's almost certainly post-Vimy due to the mention of Kemmel. I'll see if they say anything about it when I drop them a line.

Comment

Originally posted by Vix Steel View Post
                            I saw this group a few yrs back.
                            My research on the tile back then was that it was a reunion item.
                            Not 100% but it seemed to make sense at the time.

Great photos though, the hospital group one is super.
                            The gentleman who I received it from (A. A. Good's grandson) mentioned something about another collector saying that the chalk piece was commemorative; I guess that he was referring to you!

If that's the case, someone spent a long time carving this chalk block. The detail is extraordinary. I can't find any information on it being a commemorative piece, but then again, I can't find any information on it being a piece of trench art either.

Comment

Who ever when ever carved it, still a very interesting piece.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X