Gielsmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Named gasmask bag - 10th Parachute Battalion ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named gasmask bag - 10th Parachute Battalion ???

Hi Guy, Bought this item some weeks ago on a local flea market.

I'm really nog familiar with British military items, so forgive me if i'm wrong.

This gas mask set I bought and looked interestging, because it was still as left behind. All was inside! Now I was googling the writings on the inside.
    Can someone please help me, confirm or tell me I'm wrong.

A name is written inside :
    G. Grace PTE
    10 PLN BCOY

is this 10th Platoon B Company = 'B' Coy, 10th Parachute Battalion ??
    Does someone have records of these members in this platoon? Is there a G. Grace???

All information is very welcome!

Thanks in advance

On the paradata site I could find 1 person named Grace, however James...

Is this how you write a J in UK? For me it is a G...
    https://paradata.org.uk/people/james-grace-0

Please down't shoot me when wrong, but I'm not really into ww2 and British militaria.

Lance Corporal Grace was posted to 223 Air Despatch Company, RASC, and took part in Operation Market Garden (Arnhem).
    Can the "10 PLN BCOY" be related to this "223 Air Despatch Company" or did they not just swap platoon / company like that...?

Information, confirmation or dissaproval would really be appreciated!

Comment

gas bag

Why do you think it is even para or even war time related? With sub unit designations written on I would doubt its wartime.
      10 platoon, B Company is exactly that, of a unit unknown. The answer to your question is in the title - 223 Air Dispatch COMPANY, how many companies do you think are in ONE company?

Comment

Originally posted by paul.j View Post
        Why do you think it is even para or even war time related? With sub unit designations written on I would doubt its wartime.
        10 platoon, B Company is exactly that, of a unit unknown. The answer to your question is in the title - 223 Air Dispatch COMPANY, how many companies do you think are in ONE company?
        Thanks for the replay!

Well I think it is wartime related because all is dated pre 1944, everything inside the bag as well.
        I got it from a flea market, didn't pay that much for it... The owner was no collector, didn't even know the origin of it (country, war/post war etc.) I got it together with another standard bag dated 1943... so I'm pretty sure the writing is also from that time.

I thought someone from 10Th platoon B comp could be transferred to 223 Air Dispatch Comp or so? Like I said, I downt know about these things, thats why I ask.
        So you are saying, the name I found on the site is probably not the person I was looking for. Any ideas where I should be searching?

Comment

gas bag

Well I'm pretty certain that in "that time" they were at war and I'm pretty sure that had a thing called opsec so doubt the writing is from the war.
          As to looking, well without a unit it is a needle in a haystack with what is a pretty common name and not even a period of service to start looking in.

Comment

10th Platoon B Company

Nothing airbore related that can be gleaned from the notes on the item.

That could be any infantry unit in the CW that happed to have a 10th Pl in B coy.

Of course you could rule out other units such RE that did not use platoons but that still wouldn't get you that far.

Comment

Ok thank you guys!

First post I found on google with "10 PLN B COY" was about paratroopers in Arnhem, I thought (hoped) that they were all paratroopers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X