GeneralAssaultMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian tanker's re-issue/ fibre-rimmed para helmet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The seller at Westland states he had the leather straps supplied with the helmets and he fitted them himself.
    The fact remains that they have been altered post-war and should be sold as such. Trying to trick sellers by covering the holes and hiding the fact, like the one I mentioned, is wrong IMHO.

Regards,
    Steve

Comment

Guys,

Can we be sure it is an exclusive postwar thing to convert a shell to webstraps?
      Weren't helmets with worn leather straps "repaired" by fitting webbing straps during the war?
      I've seen converted helmets where no extra hole was drilled, the rear fixing bolt simply used either one of the existing holes but it seems impossible to put a date on that.
      Regards, Luc

Comment

"Any ideas why it was done in the first place? I mean why replace a perfectly servicable leather chinstrap?
        Regards, Luc"

Ever seen what happens to leather in tropical conditions? Australia was fighting a tropical war in 1944/45.

Comment

Originally posted by afrika
          Ever seen what happens to leather in tropical conditions? Australia was fighting a tropical war in 1944/45.
          Doh! Now you mention it, I remember the mould growing inside my leather shoes after a 4 day hike through the jungle.

Luc

Comment

"Any ideas why it was done in the first place? I mean why replace a perfectly servicable leather chinstrap?
            Regards, Luc"

It very in ozz leather will dry out same why the Germans used web instead of leather in Africa.

Comment

Yep, I spent 3 years living in Darwin, Top of Australia, directly below Papua New Guinea. Leather goes mouldy in about 2 to 3 weeks during the wet season. It will fall apart after 6-12 months of hard use, probably less if in battle conditions. I Served with the Australian Army up there, equipment takes a BEATING in those conditions. So does the body !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Comment

equipment takes a BEATING in those conditions. So does the body
                True, I lost more than 7 kilos of weight in 2 weeks time!
                Luc

Comment

£100

OK .. there's £100 GBP waiting for the 1st person to throw away their "unwanted Aussi Fibre rim" with both sets of straps

Gary J.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X