British Miniatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Miniatures

Since we have now a dedicated British Forum I take the liberty to post some of my miniatures again.

This is the miniature medal bar to Admiral of the Fleet Sir Charles M. Forbes
    He won his DSO during the battle of Jutland where he served on Jellcoe's Staff on board of Iron Duke. The Order of St. Stanislaus was also a result of this action.
    During the 30's he served on the Admiralty Board and became CinC of the Home Fleet in 1938 till December 1940. He was in charge during the German Operation "Weserübung", i.e the occupation of Norway. He retired in 1943.
    The medals are:

Most Honorable Order of the Bath Knights Commander KCB
    Distinguished Service Order DSO
    14-15 Star
    Kings Medal
    WW1 Victory Medal with palm "Mentioned in Dispaches" (Jutland)
    39-45 Star
    Atlantic Star
    Defense Medal
    War Medal
    Jubilee 1935
    Coronation 1937
    Imperial Russian Order of St. Stanislaus
    French Legion of Honor Commander
    French Croix de Guerre w/ palm

All medals are silver-gilt, DSO most likely gold.I also have the presentation case from "Royal Appointment/Gieves Ltd". The group was made and sold by Spink & Son.

Dietrich
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Here is a picture of Sir Charles from a 1939 publication.
    Attached Files
    B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

A Canadian Airforce Group, no name behind it.
      B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

This group belonged to a Mr. H.L. Kendell who was very involved in the Order of St. John. He was made a Knight of Grace in 1966, by which time he was also an OBE. Clearly a difference in quality can be observed to the other groups.
        Attached Files
        B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Very nice groups Dietrich - I didnt realise you collected British awards, seeing you mainly post in the crosses forum ........how long have you had them/where did you find them?

Comment

Hi David,

yeah, I'm really a "crosses" guy but I also collect miniatures, mainly 3rd Reich. And when I saw those, I just couldn't resist. For two reasons: beauty and provenance, especially with Sir Charles! They came all of from Ebay about 3 years ago directly from England. They are just jewels!

Would you have an idea for how much Sir Charles would go today?

Dietrich

P.S.: I still have some british full size medals from earlier collecting years, but nothing that fancy.
            B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Regardless a wonderful set - as to your question I have no idea, although I am sure they have appreciated on what you paid back then! I collect mainly Wehrpasses, so maybe Tony may be able to give you an idea?

If possible would love to see your full size lots as well - I have a few myself (both WWI/WWII), although I tend to only collect named British sets, which are hard to come by!

Comment

Before I do that (and those are really nothing special) I post some more of my British Mini's and stay inside the topic.

I find the DSO and the Military Crosses especially nice.

Dietrich
                Attached Files
                B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Those MC's are indeed gorgeous Dietrich!

What full size meds do you have? (staying inside the topic, of course)

Marshall

Comment

Dietrich, I'll see if I can come up with a name for that AFM, BEM group. I'm going to 'borrow' your image to make it easier for the man-in-the-know. Nice King's Commendation Civil Defence group - not often seen in minature.

Comment

Thanks Tony, that would be nice. I was informed sometime ago by somebody from "another" forum, that this group might have been put together.... I fyou need the reverse, let me know..

Here are the 'big' medals.

Dietrich
                      Attached Files
                      B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X