Ace Group on E/bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ace Group on E/bay

Another Canadian group on E/bay. Ends Mar.07. Its up to GBP 670.00. Item # 6515507480. This group could be suspiciuos because of the War medal and Defence medal being cupro nickel, with the CVSM being silver.Canadians would not be given a mixed up group. Any opinions ?
    Attached Files

E/bay Ace group

Finaly sold for $1,377.87 US

Comment

Depending on the circumstances of enlistment, I believe he certainly could have been issued Cupro-nickel Defence and War Medals. He may well have claimed the CVSM after the fact, and due to the statues he would be entitled as he served with an allied military, ie. the RAF.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Interesting - Assuming he joined the RAF first and transferred to RCAF or vise versa. His log book is RCAF and he flew with 101 and 103 Squadrons(RAF) which is common enough for Canadians. You could be right as the Defense and the War medal were not approved until late 1945 and they (including the 2 stars authorized late 1946))may have been issued to him in England and when he returned to Canada, put in for the CVSM. In all my years of collecting I have never seen cupro nickel medals to Canadian groups that include the CVSM. Have you ?

I know there was some changes in 2001 on newly eligible persons for the CVSM which included Auxiliary Services, Canadian Firefighters, Overseas Welfare Workers, Volunteer Aid Detachment(Red Cross, St.Johns Amb),Ferry Command and the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan Instructors.

Thanks Adam for your comments....I guess your never too old (Me) to learn

Comment

Hi Ed,

I think to have been issued the British type Defence and War Medals that the man in question likely joined in England, or somehow directly enlisted in the RAF and was issued his medals by the British rather than the Canadian government.

It seems to me I have encountered this before, though the exact groups/recipients do not come to mind at the moment.

An example I can cite is that of my great-uncle. A Canadian by birth, he joined the British Army pre-WWII and as such was issued his medals by the British authorities. According to the information I found our family COULD have claimed a CVSM as his service was with the Allies, however, nobody ever did. As he never served in the Canadian military, no CVSM was issued by default...indeed the Canadian government likely had no idea about his war service or his fate.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X