British Canteen, Officer or Civilian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Canteen, Officer or Civilian?

Hello, do any of you guys know if this is a military used canteen or a sivilian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's made by S.W.Silver & Co, Cornhill London

Comment

My first guess is 'private purchase', so probably officer's. What is the name on the lip, please? Many of the companies who made this stuff are traceable on-line.

Comment

Ok, thank you for the answer. The writing on the lip is: S.W.Silver & Co, Patent, Cornhill London. I tried to Google it and look for other canteens like it but without luck. I think this might have been left behind in Norway during the Campaign in 1940.

Comment

I could find nothing for the company after about 1890's so probably earlier than WWII though it could have been a family item taken there with an officer. They were also civilian outfitters for camping and safari's so it might not be military.

Comment

But from what I read here: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/S._W._S...amin_Edgington , wasn't the company established then i 1898?

Comment

Originally posted by IR15 View Post
                But from what I read here: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/S._W._S...amin_Edgington , wasn't the company established then i 1898?
                No, that is when they amalgamated as S. W. Silver and Co. and Benjamin Edgington Ltd.

Comment

Aha, thanks for clearing that up. As you probably see from my writing english isn't my first language so some words are like Greek for me. If this is so this canteen is made before 1898 then. Did they use this shape on the canteens that early?

Comment

Yes, this shape of canteen goes back to the 1780s - made in tin, originally - thought the British went to a round wooden version for the Napoleonic period as the tin flasks tended to leak if the soldering was done poorly or as they aged.

Comment

Thank you Peter, learning new things every day

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X