Named Fairburn Sykes Khife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named Fairburn Sykes Khife

Hi - wasn't sure if I would be better off in the dagger or US military forum but here goes: This came in at a recent Atlanta area gun show. The Vet was from a suburb north of here a bit, Canton Ga. Apparently he married a British woman VIA the phone right after the war. thats all I've found so far. What is the general value of an item like this, with the name factory engraved on the blade? I believe it is a 2nd model.
    Attached Files

more shots

his name was Marvin S Kite anyone have a way to research this?
    Attached Files

Comment

nice 2nd pattern, you could order a knife with your name etched on the blade, this guy is Army Air force ?
      34443483 s/n
      Kite, Marvin S.
      Fulton, Georgia
      21 September 1942
      1921 DOB

found here
      http://wwii-enlistment.com/

Comment

By using the internet and with a lot of patience you usually can find loads about the owner. Things like "find a grave" will sometimes find his burial place and image of grave. If you know where he lived search for obituaries on line. The US Army Registers will also come up with things like his service number. Once you have that and proof of death apply to the records section in St Louis for his service record.

Comment

Very nice 2nd pattern

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
            Very nice 2nd pattern
            +1

Comment

Any idea on value? condition is top notch, no problems and even has the elastic and wings, which are often gone.

Comment

Realistically £600-800
                A lot more on a dealers site

Comment

Having seen the knife I can say it is in excellent overall condition and I would put the retail value (here in the U.S.) at $1500 to $1800. It's a very nice example and being personalized to a USAAF officer makes it special IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by fredswiss View Post
                    Having seen the knife I can say it is in excellent overall condition and I would put the retail value (here in the U.S.) at $1500 to $1800. It's a very nice example and being personalized to a USAAF officer makes it special IMO.
                    If this is real i'm gone sell my F&S collection to you Here in Europe you have to think in the price range of €800 euros and if someone is very greedy the price could fetch up around the €1200 euro max

Comment

1200 euros is about $1350 and that's only $150 less than my estimate. Also, I assume having it named to a USAAF officer doesn't add value in Europe whereas it does on this side of the pond.

Comment

I paid $1200 for a named all nickel last year.

Comment

thanks for the info guys

It appears that the exceptional condition of this knife and the etched name are major factors in evaluating this knife.

The elastic retainer at top can be fragile and easily damaged or gone. Many of these knives show heavy use, which I find interesting when connected with use in action and not the detriment that others may.

As for the etching, I couldn't find many out there. Still need some more research on the pilot. Will let you know what I find.

Comment

BTW / This knife showed up at a gun show - the owner taking it around looking for offers - and one of the helpful dealers, asserting his knowledge as an expert - had sent the guy back to a german dagger dealer who had a RUST ERASER to shine up the blade, nice and bright. Fortunately I intercepted it on the way back. Also, I had cash and the other wheeler dealer kingpins would have had to write him a check.
                            Last edited by robert; 05-28-2017, 06:20 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X