Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone id this lapel pin?

Hi all,
    On behalf of a Polish friend I would appreciate any help that would id this pin:

Any thoughts about value?
    Regards, Luc

It was issued by the Ministry of Munitions in 1915 to those engaged on work essential to the war effort.

The first ones issued had blue enamel in the design, but this was too expensive & time consuming so the majority were made like this one, in plain brass.
    There is a list of the firms & companies whose workers were issued this badge but there is no known surviving record of the issue of these numbered badges.

A smaller, round badge with "1914" on it was issued by the Admiralty in 1914, & in a 1916 a triangular version with "1916" on it was issued, but only to women.

They were all issued with a certificate, but I've never seen one of the certificates, let alone a badge with its certificate.

Value is about £3 - £10, depending on how badly somebody wants it, these badges are not uncommon in Britain.
    Last edited by leigh kitchen; 03-05-2005, 02:52 PM. Reason: forgot - value.

Comment

I thank Luc by means. I can hence send message.
      Regards Robert

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
        It was issued by the Ministry of Munitions in 1915 to those engaged on work essential to the war effort.
        Hi Leigh,
        Do you mean these were issued to civillians?
        Thanks for your help, Luc

Comment

Yes, they were issued to civilians to show that they were engaged in an occupation vital to the war effort - making munitions, although they were'nt actually members of the armed forces.

Comment

Thanks Leigh!

Luc

Comment

Lapel Badges

You see these lapel badges for all kinds of services and countries. It is interesting as their purpose was to avoid accusations of avoiding service or being un-patriotic. That is why they are lapel type or stickpin. They were worn with a civilian suit. If one was on 'official duties', or 'on war service' or 'in her majesty's service', that meant "I may look like a young healthy man who should be overseas but I am actually doing something important here at home so don't ask". Also, men who were wounded but not visually obvious had various "I have served" pins to wear. This was true of WWI and WWII.

Comment

I heard a fantastic story once; "healthy young men" actually included employees from fish and chips shops. They provided a quick warm meal for people working in the military industry so there was no national service for them.

Perhaps they wore such a lapel pin as well?

Regards, Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X