1800's 58th Regiment Button & Artillery Button found in New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1800's 58th Regiment Button & Artillery Button found in New Zealand

Just seeking clarification on these 2 buttons as it is not an area I am versed in.

They were ground found some years ago near Russell in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand.

Members of the 58th Rutlandshire Foot Regiment were in this area from 1845 to 1858 fighting the local Maoris in the Northland area of New Zealand. These 2 buttons were both found in the Russell area but at different times. With the 58th button it is different from 58th buttons shown online. Is it still from this Regiment? Also the Artillery button has 3 cannons and the word "Ubique" underneath. What period was this button used?

Many thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by monty; 05-14-2017, 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Originally posted by monty View Post
    Also the Artillery button has 3 cannons and the word "Ubique" underneath. What period was this button used?

Many thanks!
    Approximately 1838-1855.

Marc

Comment

Nice items and what better place to find them than Russell!

Cheers,
      Michael

Comment

Thanks guys!

From what I find online the buttons of this 58th Regiment had their Battle Honor place-names in a circle on the button. Is there any significance for this button being plain and without - e.g. an earlier period, lower ranks?

Comment

The 58th button is not the same as at least one other I've seen from Russell. I believe the 58 on buttons introduced in 1855 was larger, but I don't know what other features were involved. I'll check with a friend who focuses on British troops in NZ during the Maori Wars.

Michael

Comment

Here's an officer's gilt button for the 29th that seems to be of the same pattern. It's supposedly 1855-1881 (courtesy of eBay http://www.ebay.ie/itm/The-29th-Worc...QAAOSw8lpZGKpM).

Michael
            Attached Files

Comment

Button

Many thanks Michael .... this one is about 20mm in diameter.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X