No announcement yet.

Some British Medals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Headgear. The top 3 rows are WW2 and earlier. The rest range from Korea to modern day. Like I said, if it was British, he bought it...
    Attached Files

Comment

More Headgear.
      Attached Files

Comment

Some Tunics. I am not as good at dating the tunics, but to the best of my knowledge, most are post-WW2.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinRommel1940 View Post
          Also, I have received questions about the medals. I will be keeping the DFC, DSO and CMG, everything else is for sale. Due to the large volume of items, I will be posting items on the E-Stand only if requested, otherwise it would take me weeks. Once I have a them listed, I will post the E-Stand thread in this forum. I will comply with all E-Stand rules.
          You learn quick. Best way of selling is NOT to list on e-stand but rather state you are interested in selling and simply posting pictures here. That way you get offers and don't have to limit yourself to posting a price. Works quite often and gets past the forum e-stand rules of "have to post a price" and "no auction type listings"

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinRommel1940 View Post
            Some Tunics. I am not as good at dating the tunics, but to the best of my knowledge, most are post-WW2.
            A couple of the uniforms appear to be pre WWI, top row 2nd from left, and middle row 2nd from right.

Among the medals do you have any with clasps of Radfan or south Arabia?.

Matt.

Comment

"Are any of the military medals for the Royal Sussex ."

What is so special about the Royal Sussex?

Comment

Nice lot thks showing

nice lot thanks showing this super collection

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                  "Are any of the military medals for the Royal Sussex ."

What is so special about the Royal Sussex?
                  beside the fact that it is davidww collecting area the Royal Sussex was involved in almost every 'Great Battle' in the early and late Colonial era, and the First and Second World War.

I think the only lack 'Waterloo' and 'North West Europe' in thier battle honours.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, though for me it is mostly the history of the individual then the history of his unit that is important.
                    I found this one quite far from its home...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                      beside the fact that it is davidww collecting area the Royal Sussex was involved in almost every 'Great Battle' in the early and late Colonial era, and the First and Second World War.

I think the only lack 'Waterloo' and 'North West Europe' in thier battle honours.
                      Certainly, the old Royal Sussex Regt. ( 35th Foot ) has a nice list of battle honours, but it pales in comparison to many other regiments.
                      Up to 1914, they were: Gibraltar 1705-05, Louisburg, Quebec 1759, Martinique 1762, Havannah, St. Lucia 1778, Egyot 1882, Abu Klea, Nile 1884-85, South Africa 1900-02.
                      Thus, no Peninsular War honours, no Waterloo, no Crimea or Indian Mutiny service, and no battle honours, at least. from circa 1800 to 1882.
                      Check out the battle honours of, say, the Gloucestershire Regiment, Black Watch, Rifle Brigade, Highland Light Infantry, Royal Scots, etc., for comparison.
                      Needless to say, the regiment had little or no control over where they were sent, and what action they saw, or missed, the same with many other regiments whose battle honours list may not be as impressive as some.
                      I would just not characterize this regiment as one that hardly missed out on any campaigns,; the record shows otherwise.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

When thinking about buying a WWI or WWII item, I really dont see how the history of the unit 50 or 100 years earlier is very relevant. What seems most relevant is the history of the unit for the same time frame as the item.
                        A certain unit may have performed gloriously at Waterloo. But if in WWII it was on garison duty somewhere for five years, then I will not be very interested in any WWII items relating to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                          When thinking about buying a WWI or WWII item, I really dont see how the history of the unit 50 or 100 years earlier is very relevant. What seems most relevant is the history of the unit for the same time frame as the item.
                          A certain unit may have performed gloriously at Waterloo. But if in WWII it was on garison duty somewhere for five years, then I will not be very interested in any WWII items relating to it.
                          I was responding to the earlier post regarding pre-1914 service.
                          Certainly, both regular battalions, and most territorial battalions of the regiment saw much action in both world wars.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

There must be thousands of pounds worth of items there. The Blues and Royals Helmet must be a £1,500 item.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                              There must be thousands of pounds worth of items there. The Blues and Royals Helmet must be a £1,500 item.

Marc
                              Helmet is actually for the 1st King's Dragoon Guards. I requested more photos for it.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
                                Helmet is actually for the 1st King's Dragoon Guards. I requested more photos for it.

Bob Shoaf
                                I sit corrected.

Marc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X