British DPM Field Jacket Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British DPM Field Jacket Purchase

Hello everyone, last weekend I purchased a British DPM field jacket from a small surplus shop. It is in used condition and has a stitched up repair to the front and a small British flag on the left shoulder. It has a green tag on the inside just below the neckline that is marked "JACKET FIELD Woodland, Disruptively Patterned" and the number 8415 99 869 1932. It has the four large pockets on the front (2 chest & 2 hip) with the large, round plastic buttons a little over an inch in diameter and two zip pockets on the chest. It is a zip front with Velcro wind flap that folds over the zipper and also has a buttoned strap on the front breast, which I believe is for the attachment of a rank loop. Can anyone tell me the approximate vintage of this type of jacket?

Also, I have a few questions about obtaining the appropriate rank loop for this jacket. I have seen some on e-bay that are in the woodland DPM pattern and have the rank insignia sewn on the front. I have also seen some that are plain OD green with the rank insignia and regimental name sewn on the front. Why do some have regimental names on the front and some don't? I'm just looking to dress up my jacket a little bit with a rank loop, but I want to do it in an authentic way. Which type of rank loop would be most appropriate for my jacket? Thanks in advance for any help or info anyone can provide!

Sounds like a late 90's early 2000's issue the penultimate issue before moving to MTP.

As to the rank slide, it really depended on the unit, those with the units name are always OG those with just rank DPM or OG.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwipom View Post
      Sounds like a late 90's early 2000's issue the penultimate issue before moving to MTP.

As to the rank slide, it really depended on the unit, those with the units name are always OG those with just rank DPM or OG.
      I agree with the above but would add that plain OG ones are issued, but OG with the regt/corps at the base and coloured 'pips' (for officer) are private purchase for wear in barracks. For example, an RAMC one would have RAMC in dull cherry and cherry edged pips, AAC would be light blue etc. Chevrons would be gold apart from LI which would be black. Bear in mind what I have said but have a look on google and you will see what I mean

The DPM ones have no unit designation (also issued) and are for use in the field.

Comment

Thanks guys for your response. This is my first DPM field shirt, and I really like it. With all those super large pockets it seems like a very practical shirt. The green ones with rank insignia and pips are embroidered in black and are for the Royal Gibraltar regiment and can be found here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122249454497...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I assume these are authentic and not made up fantasy pieces? So would these be private purchase? The seller also has camo rank loops with the same regimental marking. The other rank loop I was looking at is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Brit...QAAOSwBLlU5y4Y I notice these have cream colored embroidery instead of black. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn a thing or two here so I can accurately dress up my field shirt! Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

Both rank slides are original and typical for a jacket such as yours. Yes the Gib Regt will be usually private purchase (occasionally issued by unit) but still allowed in Dress Regulations and the DPM Lt pips are the correct type for the field.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X