Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAAF Tunic with "E" Wings as a Cook?

Hi all,

Something quite curious (at least to me). I purchased this not so long ago thinking this gent was an Engineer but for some reason his service number on his tunic showed he was a cook. Any idea under what circumstances this could happen?
    RAAF service number 26428
    https://rslvirtualwarmemorial.org.au.../people/532985

Cheers,

Jeff

The first thing that comes to mind is someone 'improving' his role in the war, after the fact. But then, I'm a bit of a cynic. there may well be another, less damning explanation.

Comment

Is it possible that a medical condition or injury removed him from flight status and then he settled in to being a cook? Continuing to wear the brevet he had previously earned.

Comment

Thanks gents, those are two very likely scenarios - I have access to his records now so I will delve but another question; do all flight qualified RAAF sergeants also have a "bird" above their stripes along with the wings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe flying the kitchen sink wasn't such bad duty.

Nice uniform!!!!

Comment

On the same vein as your question, under what circumstances would the "bird" be worn with the title Australia?. Your posted tunic is "sans" the nationality title. Many times these two are both combined on one sign. Would overseas service warrant the nationality title?

Thanks
            Jack

Comment

I suspect the wing has been added to "sex up" the otherwise dull tunic.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                On the same vein as your question, under what circumstances would the "bird" be worn with the title Australia?. Your posted tunic is "sans" the nationality title. Many times these two are both combined on one sign. Would overseas service warrant the nationality title?

Thanks

Jack

Hey Jack I've never seen a RAAF uniform worn with the nationality title since it's technically not a RAF uniform and it's a different colour

Comment

Comment

According to records:
                    Served in 451 SQN
                    SA, VIC, Egypt, Corsica, South France, Italy. April 1940-Sept 1945

Here's an interesting entry though he was a cook in an engineering school?!

Comment

Raaf

Hi
                      Thanks for showing the uniform, first other ranks Raaf always quite rare due to dark blue being a overseas or winter uniform only as KD being mainly used in aus so always handed back apon leaving ,the wing does look like it was applied later due to his records , does his rank match his records? also the war service stripes do they match his service years?
                      All OR use the bird useually with Australia titles for overseases use but not guaranteed ,the last possible theory the jacket was reissued is the jacket named and dated? ,
                      Russ

Comment

My understanding is that a flight engineer was applicable to multi-engine aircraft, so serving in a fighter squadron doesn't follow.

I'd remove the badly sewn wing, keeping it as a nice piece of insignia and returning the tunic to its original appearance.

Mike

Comment

All OR use the bird useually with Australia titles for overseases use but not guaranteed ,the last possible theory the jacket was reissued is the jacket named and dated? ,
                          Russ[/QUOTE]

This insignia is relevant to the above quote.

Also, back to the tunic again, does it have any maker mark or label?

Mike
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Mike Swan; 05-01-2017, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Those long service strips look like Air Raid warden strips . Perhaps its a film prop . Rob
                            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Overseas service stripes are fine. I have identical pattern on my Brit-made RAAF Flt/Lt tunic. That's why I think this one was made in England.

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X