Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Alberta Hat Badge

Hi Guys,

*EDIT -- This belonged to my Wife's Grandfather on her Mother's Side -- I can read what is says ... but:

1. What are these Hat Badges worth? Any other info you can relate to me about it? I'm definitely not a badge or hat guy.

2. Anyway a person can trace the history of this Battalion or find out some more info on it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by h009291; 03-12-2005, 06:03 PM.

Hi Darrell, try here:

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/n...f/924SAlta.htm

and here:

http://www.sarvaofcanada.ca/histsar.htm

Sorry I have no idea on value of this cap badge.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Darrell,

This website might also be helpful.

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Darrell

That looks alot like a WW1 hat badge. I got 1 hit on google, with the 191 Overseas battalion, but I could not find the page, here's a photo of the current Southern Alberta Light Horse Hat Badge, just for interest sake.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Laurence Strong; 03-02-2005, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Yes, that is definately a WW1 badge. Canadian badges that have "overseas battalion" and a number are from WW1. Nice badge you have there The value of the WW1 CEF badges can really vary depending on the unit and I don't collect this era, so I can't help with the value. Try posting at the Canuck site http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/Steve

Comment

*EDIT - He served in WW1 by lying about his age*

No one in the family knows or cares much about this stuff so I'm kinda drawing a blank here. You could and probably are correct.

P.S. Laurence ... they lived in Innisfail too
              Last edited by h009291; 03-12-2005, 06:04 PM.

Comment

hey Darrell

Check out that Canuk web site, I just did some surfing there, and found that hat badge but no info.
                Well I'm off in the morning, and iif this nice weather keeps up it wont be long before I get back home with the rig, 3 days to bring it back

Comment

Originally posted by Laurence Strong
                  hey Darrell

Check out that Canuk web site, I just did some surfing there, and found that hat badge but no info.
                  Well I'm off in the morning, and iif this nice weather keeps up it wont be long before I get back home with the rig, 3 days to bring it back
                  Yeah I'll take a look too.

If it stays warm like this much longer .. things will be slowing down for sure.

Comment

Got a reply at Canadiansoldiers.com and Dave was so kind as to find some info:

QUOTE*
                    According to Charltons catalogue of ww1 canadian cap badges this badge is worth $100 of so Canadian depending on if you can find somebody who wants it enough. Most CEF badges are only around $20 or so which makes this a better badge and harder to get. I hope this helps
                    UNQUOTE*

Thanks again for the Links guys ... it paid off

Comment

Cool And you can place some history with it!

Comment

The 191st Battalion was raised in McLeod and the surrounding area with mobilization headquarters at McLeod, Alberta under the authority of G.O. 69 July 15th, 1916. The battalion sailed March 28th 1917 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel W. C. Bryan with a strength of 6 officers and 246 other ranks. In England the battalion was absorbed into the 21st Reserve Battalion. It was disbanded September 15, 1920.

The other ranks' badge that you have shown here was made by the firm of Black. There is only one recorded variety of 191st badge. A bit of a scarcer badge, and as noted has a catalogue value of approx $100 CAD though actual selling price may be somewhat lower or higher. This would depend on condition, the obverse looks fine, and as long as the lugs on the reverse are intact and in good condition you have a nice example of a somewhat scarce CEF badge.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

I didn't realize you had an image of the reverse as well ...looks fine to me!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Wow ... good info Adam

Would you know where a person may find members of this battalion (from Alberta), or where they fought? Thanks.

Comment

The battalion did not serve overseas as a unit, it was broken up for reinforcements in England, thus, anyone that belonged to it would have ended up serving in France & Flanders in another battalion or corps unit.

I doubt there are any surviving members of the battalion left...so not really sure if you'll find any living members, but did you mean research on those that did? If you have names I can help you out.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X