Question about Para Wing Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Para Wing Construction

Can anyone nail down the approximate dates (within a decade) as to when Theses types of RM and RAF wings were made (I am making a big assumption that they are all genuine, please correct me if I am wrong on this).
    RM wing #1 has got me stumped, it is the only wing with a backing that is not embroidered through (or padding either), and the background is Black as opposed to the Dark Blue of #3 & #4. I beleive #2 is a tropical version. #3 & #4 are almost carbon copies of each other except one sports a slick "varnish like" substance that I assume is a glue of some sort. I have seen this same thing on a few of my Army para wings that have come off of uniforms, I'm just wondering if this is just particular to certain manufactures or what?
    The RAF wings are another can of worms. #1 sports what is suppose to be a MOD contractor number, and black "under embroidery". This is the only wing of the dozens I have that has black thread. #2's backing is a black gauze-like material. #3 has what could be called the standard backing of modern wings, Buff colored cloth. #1 & #2 light up like Vegas under UV, while #3 is dead flat.
    Also, does anyone know the names of any of the contractors that have supplied the UK with their para wings?

RM Back

Comment

RAF Front

Comment

RAF Back

Comment

Hi There,

post war wings are not really my forte but in learning about wartime ones I have handled a lot of modern pieces. I will try to help if I can.

In the first picture wing no 1 is a modern reproduction of a wartime style of wing I think. The backing cloth is unusual as if they were backed it was usually in black paper or hessian. Having said that though it could be a more modern private purchase piece. Number two is a very modern wing displaying the typical waffle back of current patches and is probably no more that five or six years old. Numbers 3 and 4 are as you say virtually identical but with the exception of the treatment of the back. Number 3 is quite an old wing in my opinion and could date to any period from the 1960's to the 1990's. The white bobbin thread on the reverse has been treated with glue in an attempt to strengthen the embroidery ( some makers did this). Number 4 however is much newer; whilst being manufactured on the same machinery it displays a modern reverse treatment similar to number 2. This substance which resembles varnish is in fact a form of heat shrunk film which seals the reverse of the embroidery, you can actually peel it off should you want to!

Now the RAF wings

Number 1 worries me, it is a style I associate with the 50's but these wings with NATO stock codes are also heavily copied, you even see them on repro WW2 wings . In it's defence this piece seems nicely made and the black bobbin thread is not really a cause for concern, i have seen white, black, red and green so that isn't the problem. You probably need an RAF collector for that one. Number 2 is also a strange wing as it shows absolutely all the characteristics of a wartime piece. This one warrants further investigation as it could be very old! try burning the white bobbin thread on the reverse and see if it is cotton; that's always a good start. Number 3 is another very recent wing displaying the same backing as number 2 in the first picture.

I hope I have managed to be of some help to you although I fear I may have just muddied the waters.

All The Best, Yours, Guy.

Comment

Thanks for the info Guy.

RAF 2 is definately an oddball. The white glows like a synthetic, but burns like cotton, no nasty globs. The Feathers are horizontally stitched, and the risers are nicely done, but the gores of the chute are only so-so. The black gauze, or hessian if you are on that side of the pond, backing is another thing I'm a little lost on.
            Oh well, lets see what the masses have to say.
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X