CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guards Cap World War One or World War Two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guards Cap World War One or World War Two?

Any information appreciated! The buttons are RHG, Royal Horse Guards. The lining is black oilcloth and the peak is green underneath.
    Attached Files

This is definitely not a WW1 era cap. The stitching around the top of the middle band means it is of post 1920s manufacture. Even though the peak is smaller like a typical 1905 Pattern cap it is because the peak has been slashed, or removed, cut down and resewn at a more vertical angle. This was done by all Guards regiments.

It is almost impossible to tell if your cap is pre- or post-WW2 as the design essentially remained unchanged. I have several of these dated from the 1930s up to the late 1940s. Can you see any kind of white stamps on the oil cloth lining? Or try lifting up the sweat band (if it's not too delicate) and see if there is a W /|\ D stamp inside with a letter date code. This would positively identify the exact year.

Having said all that this looks like an original and nicely styled Royal Horse Guards cap. You just need to find a matching cap badge for the front and a leather chin strap.

Matthew

Comment

Thanks

Thanks! There are no markings that I can see. I have a badge for the cap, now that I know the correct period!
      Last edited by aeroraider; 02-20-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X