Unknown Dirks/Daggers/Trench knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Dirks/Daggers/Trench knives

I couldn't find an appropriate category in which to post these knives, but the cutlass type hand guards "look British". The short pointed blades look like a trench knife. Hand guards look like a cutlass. Feel free to delete or move it elsewhere. Thanks. First off there are a pair of these. 12" square blades tapered to a point. Brass hand guards are hand hammered formed. One still has a remnant of its original wood handle. They appear to be hand made as the blade clocking is different between the two. They are old. Thanks.

More info

Further Internet research finds these to be parrying daggers or "main gauches".
    The word "main gauche" is a French word meaning "left hand". The parryikng daggers were held in the left hand during sword play to thwart the opponents sword. This thread should have been put in the International Military Forum, I guess.
    Anyway, I know now what these probably are. They are old but don't know how old. Thanks.

Comment

Ww1?

Originally posted by ob'98 View Post
      Further Internet research finds these to be parrying daggers or "main gauches".
      The word "main gauche" is a French word meaning "left hand". The parryikng daggers were held in the left hand during sword play to thwart the opponents sword. This thread should have been put in the International Military Forum, I guess.
      Anyway, I know now what these probably are. They are old but don't know how old. Thanks.
      Well, more feedback amd the feeling now is, WW1 daggers/trench knives.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X