Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot down plane - British?

Hello guys!

Can you please help me to ID plane and nationality?
    Attached Files

Possibly Italian. Perhaps this type :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANT_Z.1007
    Pete

Comment

I too thought maybe a Cant, however Cants' tailplanes are a little higher up and supported by two struts. Their engines also have intakes on top.

Lack of visible markings is interesting. Eagerly looking forward to the solution.

Mike

Comment

With all propeller blades stil intact i doubt its shot down. More likely destroyed on the ground.

Comment

I would say a Savoia-Marchetti SM.79, and yes its been destroyed on the ground

Comment

Thank you guys The text was a mystery to me: "Foto WK II Luftwaffe britisches Wrack Flugzeug in Oslo 1940"

Comment

The Norwegians did purchase some aircraft from Italy just prior to the war, perhaps this was one of them ....

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Hi Guys
                  IMO it is an BOAC Armstrong Whitworth Ensign I . Four-engine medium-range transport aircraft. Powered by four 850 hp (630 kW) Armstrong Siddeley Tiger IXC radial piston engines.
                  A few got destroyed in France in 1940 and there is a lot of pictures around to support it .
                  " ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH A.W.27 ENSIGN I
                  Twelve Ensigns were used by N.A.C. from September 1939 until June 1940. During the evacuation from France three Ensigns were lost : G-ADSZ ' Elysian ' was attacked by the Me 109s and destroyed by fire at Merville on 23.5.40. G-ADTA ' Euryalus ' was returning from Merville soon after the destruction of 'DSZ when it was fired on by German ground units. Two engines put out of action and the Ensign limped into Lympne and crash-landed. G-ADSX ' Ettrick ' was abandoned at Le Bourget A/P on June 1st after a severe air raid had rendered the airliner unserviceable.
                  " On 23 May 1940, G-ADSZ Elysean was attacked by three Messerschmitt Me 109 aircraft of the Luftwaffe whilst on the ground at Merville, Nord, France and was burnt out. "
                  IMO it could be G-ADSZ Elysean , lost on May 23. 1940

http://www.baaa-acro.com/1940/archiv...n-in-merville/

cheerios

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X