BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the West Yorkshire Regiment Cap Badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the West Yorkshire Regiment Cap Badge?

Hello,

I came across this picture which was taken in Trieste in May 1945. My attention was attractet by the cap badge of this officer. I have done some research and by my opinion this is the badge of the West Yorkshire Regiment. What do you think?

Thanks, Sebastijan

Could be the 3rd King's Own Hussars.

Which of these regiments was in Trieste in May 1945? That should be the clincher.

Comment

The cap badges are, of course, virtually identical, for these two regiments.
      I do not believe it's the 3rd Hussars, since they left Italy in December, 1944, for the Middle East, and were stationed in Lebanon and Syria when the War in Europe ended.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

The badges of the West Yorkshire Regiment and of the 3rd King's Own Hussars are indeed almost identical in shape. I have given the priority to the badge of the West Yorkshire Regiment because of the shape of the strip with the name of regiment. The shape of strip on these two badges, which are placed under the horse of Hanover, is diferent. For comparison I put side by side the pictures of that two badges, which I have taken from net.

The ends of that stripe on the Hussars badge are bent backward, while on the West Yorkshire Regiment's badge are not. From the picture I posted it seems that the badge on officer's cap have not the ends of this stripe bent backward.

The picture is part of video about entering of the 2nd New Zealand division into Trieste. I can't find no information about the presence of members of any of these two regiments in Trieste on that time (2nd of May 1945). I have only the information that at this time there were with New Zealanders also members of the 12th Lancers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X