Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ww1 british bag

Hi,

I got this bag at the flea market today. I believe it is a ww1 british haversack but need your help to confirm/confirm. Please let me know your thoughts.

Best regards

Ben
    Attached Files

Hello Ben,

What you seem to have there is a British Pattern 1908 haversack. From the stamp it was manufactured by Hepburn Gale & Ross in 1918.

The haversack may be a survivor left in Germany at the end of WW1. It seems to be in good, worn condition and unblancoed. Are there two short webbing straps still sewn on the back? These were for wearing it on the shoulder braces but were often removed.

Check out the Karkeeweb site for the best information on British webbing:

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/19...aversacks.html

Matthew

Comment

Hi Matthew,

thanks for your help! Here is a photo of the back. The red fabric seems to have been added to attach the bag to a belt. Its been on there for a long time at least.

Best regards

Ben
      Attached Files

Comment

Used to use the same bag for my sandwiches at work when I was a young naive 17 year old in the 80s lol

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk

Comment

So the back of the haversack has been modified at some point. Although the materials look original enough, I doubt a soldier would have made such changes during the war, especially not in bright red webbing. I suspect this has been altered post-war.

The front of the haversack is still in great shape and looks fine for display.

Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by tubist73 View Post
            So the back of the haversack has been modified at some point. Although the materials look original enough, I doubt a soldier would have made such changes during the war, especially not in bright red webbing. I suspect this has been altered post-war.

The front of the haversack is still in great shape and looks fine for display.

Matthew
            Hi Matthew,

we have all seen a lof of period photos where one would think that a soldier would not have done that. I guess its impossible to say when it has been attached. In any case it has been on there for a long time.

Thanks for your help again with this item!

Best regards

Ben

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X