CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice WWII / Korea Group. Need help with value.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice WWII / Korea Group. Need help with value.

Hi guys,

I just got this splendid WWII - Korea group. Belong to PTE Albert Laplante, enrolment in august 1940 discharge october 1945, re-enrolment in jannuary 1946 discharged again in september 1963. I have a copy of his entire military record from library and archives Canada. The guy was train as a para after WWII. According to the record the group is complete, I got all his medals.

He got : 1939-45 start, Italy star, France and Germany star, Defense medal, CVSM with clasp, War medal , Commonwelth Korea medals, Canadian Korea medal, United Nation service medal, Special service medal with Nato clasp and a CD.

Korea , UN and CD are named.

The medals look a little bright to me , I think they are a replacement set. Opinions on that ? Any idea on the value as a group with all the papers/story ?

Anyone ?

Comment

It's possible that the silver medals have been chromed, if that is what you mean or that the whole group has been laquered for display purposes - so it won't tarnish.

Medals displayed this way are very difficult to polish and are sometimes coated with laquer/artist's varnish to prevent tarnish. That might give them the very shiny appearance you refer to.

Comment

Well obviously the bar has been recently made up as the CVSMK and SSM are recent awards granted well after he left the Army.

Check the war medal it should be .800 silver so if should not stick to a magnet.

Check also for an 'R' on the engravings sometimes it is there if the medal was a replacement. Though I have only seen it on some gallantry medals.

The only odd thing is no bar to the CD perhaps he was a bad boy or just a few days shy of 22 years service

Comment

According to my 2015 "Medal Yearbook", the individual medals alone add up to approximately 760 pounds.
          The court mounting and total group adds maybe 20% ? Not certain of that.
          The regiment or corps will also play a role in value, as will if the group is indeed a replacement.
          Lovely group.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

None of them are magnetic, its the first thing I had tested. None of them had any R mark.

As far as value goes I also had the «lets just add the value of each one as a single piece» together method in mind to give me a basic idea. I think I will start from this point and see what the auction will bring!

Comment

Canadian Style

This group is mounted "Canadian-style" with the medals plated so that you don't have to polish them. There are no alarm bells as far as I can tell. Some collectors hate the plated medals, others really don't mind them. The naming looks correct too. The value depends on the recipient really. However, as a ballpark, perhaps $300 - $600.

Comment

Replacement / late issue medals for me.

Cheers Adam

Comment

Pimped up for his funeral perhaps.

Seen that the odd time. Nice original set found by family with the older medals not mounted and then sent to be mounted and then sold on the Idea that no longer have to be polished so chrome them.

A close examination of the older medals with a loop should tell you it they have been (dipped) plated.

Replacement stars where never came dipped and the Canadian version of the war medal stopped being issued in silver way back.

Comment

Thanks to all for the tips/advices.

Comment

And now on eBay...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Awesome-Canad...-/122241029836

Comment

Originally posted by RobDekk View Post

Comment

'Thanks for all the tips/advice.'

Sadly, Manu, you have made it less likely that you, or other posters not well known on the group, will get such help in the future. If you had said up front that you planned to sell the group you would still have gotten assistance and at least earned some respect for being honest, Now, many of us who read the forum will only see you as somebody taking advanyage of our time and good natures.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
                            'Thanks for all the tips/advice.'

Sadly, Manu, you have made it less likely that you, or other posters not well known on the group, will get such help in the future. If you had said up front that you planned to sell the group you would still have gotten assistance and at least earned some respect for being honest, Now, many of us who read the forum will only see you as somebody taking advanyage of our time and good natures.

Peter
                            I was becasue its a set of replacement medals and late issues stars. Luckily no one on ebay has bitten

Comment

Perhaps they are. There was certainly some discussion of that but WWII is not my area, so no real opinion except that they look plated to me. I was simply pointig out that people love helping fellow collectors but not so keen on helpig strangers make money.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X