black battledress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black battledress

My friend found this battledress in an old house, with some other ww2 items. Parts of it were resewn and made from different material and it was dyed black. Does anybody know what this could be? Maybe for POW?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I guess that it may have been altered for post-war civilian use, times were hard.

Comment

Civil Defence wore black / dark navy blue battle dress, although I'm not sure of specifics.

Comment

Some of the Post WW2 German Organisations wore black BD.

Marc

Comment

It certainly looks like it started out life as Khaki, but the material, pockets & other aspects don't look like British BD at all. It has, as has been said, been extensively modified, but what from is anyone's guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                  Some of the Post WW2 German Organisations wore black BD.

Marc
                  HI yes , I have a post 1945 photo some where of German naval staff working with British naval Bomb disposal / mine clearance in German harbors wearing dark black BD , also I think German P.O.W`s in the UK wore dyed BD`s and Thow I cant prove this but years ago when I found one of the dyed jackets an old collector long since past told me the first batch of uniforms used for civilian prisons after WW2 used black BD ? not sure if the civil prisons dyed ` normal ` BD or these just used up previously dyed P.O.W` stocks which I guess is more likely

Comment

Civilian 'employees' of both US and British forces in post-war germany wore black dyed BD. That is, regulation uniforms overdyed. Absent any markings, however, it could equally be a civilian conversion for Home front use post war, as rationing of many items including clothing continued for some time after the war and discharged servicemen were, I believe, alowed to take one tunic or perhaps one complete unifrom set with them on demobilization. Whether that is the case or not, there would certainly have been countless surplus tunics available for this kind of conversion.

Comment

Thank you all for your opinion. It was found in Slovenia, and the civilian use in the post WW2 period makes the most sense.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X