WW1 British Army tunic and pants-opinions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 British Army tunic and pants-opinions needed

When I first started collecting ( about 40 years ago ) the only way to get British military items was from those dealers in the UK who put out printed lists. There were no photos, just descriptions. I bought this during that time back then and had it boxed up. In hand it looks like it was made yesterday. Does this look right? I don't think that reproductions were being made back then but I don't really know. Any comments welcome. Thanks

Comment

Well they where many many reproductions made since the 1950s as there where uses in movies etc.

This is really clean for something 100+ years old. Though I have seem them like this out of the issue box but without buttons and ribbon bar.

The Ribbon bar is a little odd for me as I think the ALSGC was not worn if the person had the MSM.

Also no badges or rank you think someone with the ALSGC and MSM would be more than the lowest form of private.

Comment

Can you post a pic of the area under the collar, the front should have 2 seams/darts.Also would have thought lining should be white.It seems in very good condition and the lack of insignia is suspicious. The ribbon bar is correct but most likely added to tunic.

Comment

Whilst I can't comment on the trousers, the tunic is the so called 1922 pattern with a fake arrow & 1915 stamp, the O W/I\D 52 stamp is an inspectors stamp. These were used from 1922 into the 1950's.

Comment

This is indeed a 1922 patern. My royal engineers tunic from ww1 has white lining and if i recal right, the ww1 tunics should have a label with the date on.

When i have some time, i go look for it and take some pictures. I bought mine years ago, together with a brodie and a bandolier, from the owner of the ramparts museum at Ypres. Somebody offered the set to him, but he didnt had the place in the museum.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Comment

picture under the collar as requested, also better inside pant shots, buttons look cheap and are marked "Adams B'Ham"

Comment

I had asked that this set be consigned with Scott Kraska from Bay State Militaria who I believe to be honest and knowledgeable. He said that the broad arrow with the numbers below and letters above indicate post war production. He added that the 1915 stamp to be spurious.

I guess that the consensus is that this was probably a set made between the wars with the 1915 stamp added along with the ribbons.

Is there anything to indicate whether this was something made in the 20's? 40"s? or later?

Many thanks for everyone's opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by dhcoleterracina View Post

Is there anything to indicate whether this was something made in the 20's? 40"s? or later?

Many thanks for everyone's opinions.

The O is for 1943 issue.

Comment

Thanks Jerry, one final question...was this style used by the British army in WW2?

Comment

This service dress jacket and trousers look to be original items but, as stated above, are WW2 issue. The 1915 date and broad arrow stamp are completely fake and meant to deceive. I suspect the medal bar has also been added to increase value.

Having said that, these items were worn intensively from the 1920s onwards, as Jerry said. The 'O' dates the jacket to 1942 or possibly early 1943, although I suspect the earlier date is more likely as an economy version was also introduced from '42 with a simplified design (no pleats on pockets) which superseded this version.

These jackets were mostly replaced at the start of WW2 by the battle dress, but many were still being worn during the retreat to Dunkirk in 1940. They can also be seen being worn during the Greek and Crete campaigns into 1941 (probably by 2nd line troops such as drivers/supply). With yours being dated 1942 it is likely to have only been worn for ceremonial dress in the UK or by the Corps of Military Police. However, from the condition it may have been unissued and only used post-war.

The service dress trousers are also original and may be a little earlier in date given the brass buttons. Do they have a W /|\ D stamp with letter code as well? These trousers were only really worn with the SD jacket. Many people use them for WW1 alternatives, either for re-enacting or display, although the cut of the legs is fuller than the WW1 style. Another sign is the tan coloured lining material (on both items) - most linings in WW1 clothing were white cotton and generally lighter coloured.

I hope this helps. Matthew

Comment

Thank you Matthew, and everyone else, for your comments. Perhaps I will black out the 1915 and remove the ribbon bar so it doesn't get passed off to anyone else as something that it isn't. As a teenager over forty years ago I know I couldn't have spent too much money on this.

The pants are marked with a purple "Z816" and then there is a broad arrow mark with "W" on the left and "D" on the right with 372 below and something like an "O" above. There is another larger broad arrow mark that is fainter with a black smudge underneath it. The smudge is curious since the overall condition is so nice. Perhaps the smudge covers a date? In light of everything else it seems like the smudge was placed to cover something up.

Again, thanks for your help

Comment

I don't know what the Z816 could mean - possibly a laundry or stock number. Maybe even part of a service number? Anyway, the 'O' over the W /|\ D stamp again means a date of 1942. Look carefully though, as it might also be a 'Q' for 1940. This would make more sense with the early brass buttons.

The smudge could be intentional, probably to cover a marking, either to deceive or because the trousers were altered. Sizes are sometimes blacked out after something is re-tailored. Looking at your picture, I seem to be able to make out a large number 5 through the smudge. If I am not just imagining this, the 5 could refer to the size.

Matthew

Comment

Nick Hall's from Southsea UK typical stuff in the 70-80's : WW2 M22 jacket with a
                            WW1 stamp added !
                            He had hundreds of them ...
                            I don't see your pictures but i'm sure of that , with his very primitive printed list system .
                            He also had a lot of original stuff of course !
                            Nick

Comment

Sounds about right Nick, thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X