• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee Enfield n°1 Mk III

GR = George Rex -> The Reigning monarch at that time

SMLE = Short magazine Lee Enfield

And what I can read it is a 1916 dated one

Comment

I expect the rifle was exposed to constant humidity over the years to end up in this condition. None the less a nice and interesting find!
      Jim

Comment

My apologies, I see now that the date is 1916.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

hoi Bob

no problem thanks for the help

thanks on the other guys for opinion and help

is there more information or pictures to find on the flanders cap on the rifle,,

i think this is quit rare
          cheers Bruno

Comment

That is a nice rifle that looks full of history. From the pitting on the metal parts it all looks to have been together since the war. I also thought the date looked like 1936 at first, but then saw it could be a '1' as well.

Here's a site dedicated to all things Lee Enfield:

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/

You might also want to head over the the Great War Forum where there are several mentions of the Flanders Flap in various topics. Some of the very knowledgeable members there might be able to give you more information on your SMLE.

Matthew

Comment

I believe that the device with the spring on the end of the rifle is the remains of a spring loaded wire cutter attachment. It originally had two short blades arranged in a 'V' shape and spring loaded. One pushed it against a strand of barbed wire and the blades snapped shut, theoretically cutting that strand. presumably it coukld be 're-cocked' for another cut. years ago I had a bunch of them in my hands and they looked immensely im practical, but I can see why some clever bloke may have thought it was useful to have them to issue to attacking infantry.

Anyway, that would make this a WWI issue for sure, along with the 1916 date, as I'm sure none of them were used in WWII.

Comment

here is a link to a photo oif such a wire cutter: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-...-rifle-188910/

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
                  I believe that the device with the spring on the end of the rifle is the remains of a spring loaded wire cutter attachment. It originally had two short blades arranged in a 'V' shape and spring loaded. One pushed it against a strand of barbed wire and the blades snapped shut, theoretically cutting that strand. presumably it coukld be 're-cocked' for another cut. years ago I had a bunch of them in my hands and they looked immensely im practical, but I can see why some clever bloke may have thought it was useful to have them to issue to attacking infantry.

Anyway, that would make this a WWI issue for sure, along with the 1916 date, as I'm sure none of them were used in WWII.
                  Isn't it possible they still used those Mk 1 rifles in early 1940 (BEF)?

Comment

No, these Flanders Flaps were an unsuccessful adaptation and were discarded from service at the end of the war. From what I was told, they were frequently removed in the field and thrown away. They are terrifically hard to find and reproduced in number so seeing a real one is a joy. Interestingly I saw my first real one a couple of weeks ago, in much better condition. I'll go out and see the guy and get some good pics for you.

Comment

The ones I handles, 30 years ago, came in, still in Cosmoline, from the UK. I had to pick them up at Canadian Customs in Toronto. The shipper had marked them 'no commercisl value' and when the agent queried that I asked him what he's pay for one. Since he didn't know what they were... no duty. I suspect that six in mint condition would be worth a bit today, but at the time they were virtually unsaleable as i recall.

Comment

hello guys

thanks for the information and help and links

cheers Bruno

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X