No announcement yet.

Bergen Commando backpack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way junior, you should try and buy one if you can. The Belgians (Commandos and SAS) both used them Ask C.Sas if he remembers using them if you are talking to him this weekend

Comment

Hi Guys, I am kind of surprised at the prices that these bergans are fetching today? Must be the old adage of "Airborne, Commando, etc" For years these were hard to sell, no one really wanted them as they are large and hard to display. They always used to sell for around £25 to £30. The price of mine, as a mentioned before, was a swap for some garden slabs which I was going to charge £5 for

I recall seeing one for sale years ago which was a really billious bright green colour and 1944 dated.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

HIYA , just to follow on with what Aide and a few of the guys have said,
        i would like to add a few more points ,
        there are two main types as ADE has said the the green canvas , black lined water proof late war type as used by commandos and GLIDER P.REGT and the earlier webbing type ,the earliest dated webbing one i have seen was 1941
        ( if you know of any earlier dates please let me know )
        i have not seen a photo of the green canvas ones being used by the Airborne but i presume they did , do you recall the d.day photo of the british jeep and trailor loaded with high with Airborne troops and bergens setting off with the glider in the back ground ? these look more like the webbing ones

The green commando one i have only seen dated 44 onwards ......again if you know of earlier dates i would love to here , i have also seen a few other variations including a lightweight type with just a single buckle holding down the lid / top flap , this one had military stamps - markings etc

( have a look at the one being worn by PETER LAWFORD ( LORD LOVAT ) in THE FILM THE LONGEST DAY round about the scene were he drags the drunken french manout of the way of the of the british tank )

also .....is it true a special one was manufactured near the wars end for the Far east campaign ?? not seen one but have been told this,

also ..again...!! what about the ALL WHITE examples used in the film
        `WHERE EAGLES DARE ` ??

painted for the film ?
        original war time manufacture ??
        very post war, made for use of the british marine commandos in Norway a good while after the war ???
        i have not seen a photo of one of these white ones if any one has an opinion on this type please let me know,
        best wishes ,Michael.
        Last edited by SHEARING-CROSS; 11-09-2006, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Got mine for a fiver ( tan coloured with webbing straps),at a boot sale back in 91 , just luckly thats all .

Comment

Sold one on ebay recently to a French collector for £25 or so .I dont think they are particularly rare ,a lot were used post war by fell walkers and the like and due to their size were kept rather than binned .Rob.
            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Well Lads, if anyone wants to send one in my direction for £25, please let me know

Comment

bergan

Hi All !
                I have in collection bergen rucksack. Is unfortunately in weak it will stand up. Incomplete straps webb tape. Frame is very good. Under top flap stamp M. G. O. Oo 1944 and arrow. What factory? Many such rucksacks is in England. My Bergan be bought in France. I will buy in kelter Bergan willingly. If someone will to see one another cheap a Bergan - I please message about this.

Comment

Bergen

When was this type of Bergen phased out by the British Army ?
                  I have one which is undated ....

Also, ... Hello to Robspad !!!! good to see you on the forum.
                  .... ( Jak jest pogoda w Lodz ? )

Regards

Gary Jucha

Comment

Here we go. This looks good but this seller has a bit of a bad rep?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...514905899&rd=1

Comment

Hi Des, it just depends on if you beleive that the painted insignia is kosher? I don't buy it and share your concerns having seen this seller other auctions.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Guys, for those who are looking for a Bergen, a friend of mine has four coming up for sale later this year when he breaks up his long standing collection.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Nice one Will he be at beltring?

Comment

Hi Des, he will be selling up before then. I will send you a PM later tonight

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gary Jucha]When was this type of Bergen phased out by the British Army ?
                              I have one which is undated ....

The old and bold of the Para regt etc were still using these in the early 1990s long after better ones came out. They were last issued in the 1970s I think.

Comment

Ade,

Please send me an e-mail too!

Cheers,
                                Junior
                                Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                                Hi Des, he will be selling up before then. I will send you a PM later tonight

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X