Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airborne Supply Pannier?

Hi Chaps,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a group of ephemera belonging to the senior cameraman on the film "A Bridge Too Far". I mentioned at the time that this group also included a supply pannier used in the film. It definitely seems to be an authentic military item as it has faded manufacturers stamps broad arrow etc. What I am unsure of is exactly what it is!

It has runners on the bottom with holes at each end and there are four external loops; one approximately at each corner. These items don't seem strong enough to be harness attatchment points so in my opinion they are for lashing the thing down. I don't believe this thing dropped by parachute as is but it could have fitted inside a larger pannier (with a couple of others) or potentially have arrived by glider; I just don't know. There also exists the posibility that it is for something entirely different and was simply used as it resembles a whicker drop pannier.

It now resides in the house being used as a small table but I would really love to know exactly what it is! Does anyone out there recognise it?

Many Thanks In Advance, Yours, Guy.
    Attached Files

I saw one of these for sale recently refered as a "British Dropping Container"... I'll post pics ASAP.

Junior

Comment

Originally posted by junior
      I saw one of these for sale recently refered as a "British Dropping Container"... I'll post pics ASAP.

Junior

Hi Junior,

thank you very much, any info on this piece is much appreciated.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Hi Guy, as far as I know they are actually a Royal Corps of Signals item. I have seen several before in friends collections with a canvas cover which just goes over the top and front. Some have this, others don't. I seem to recall one dated 1940 and have seen a pic of one in use by the BEF at Dunkirk. So they are not Airborne per se but they did see Airborne use later in the war.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Guy,

Here you go...

BRITISH

Dropping Basket Market Garden Complete - - 375 Euro

Junior

Comment

Originally posted by junior
            Hi Guy,

Here you go...

BRITISH

Dropping Basket Market Garden Complete - - 375 Euro

Junior
            Hello Junior,

I can see some easy to spot differences between the two panniers posted. Are you sure these have the same purpose?

regards,
            Marcel

Comment

Hi Marcel, I think Junior has posted the one that is for sale to show the standard A/B drop pannier As you mention they are very different.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Chaps,

Junior, Ade, Marcel, thank you very much for all your help on this one.

Ade that's brilliant news, thank you. So when utilised by the Airborne would this have held radios, parts etc and how would it have arrived? I am assuming glider. Also, what is it worth approximately? I don't want to sell it I'me just trying to work out if I paid too much . My wife has fallen in love with it and it is already doing duty as a table, therefore it's allowed to be on display in the house I wish she felt the same about my uniform and helmet collection.

Many thanks once again.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Hi Guy, last one I saw sell was a number of years ago now and was £45 back then.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hiya Guy m8,

it's me Dre from Holland remember!?
                    Looks to me like you got yourself a parachutepack/dropping pannier, these were packed with ammo or k-rations etc...
                    These did not come per glider but were droppedper droppingsschute (colour of chute indicated the contens of container or pannier) from the suply planes C-47's or stirlings together with the mk3 droppingcontainer and other types!!
                    About 200 pound i would reckon..........
                    I still have that wing here m8, have you found another 1 for me yet?
                    Cheerio,
                    Dre

Better watch out your misses doesn't claim it for good m8

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                      Hi Chaps,

Junior, Ade, Marcel, thank you very much for all your help on this one.

Ade that's brilliant news, thank you. So when utilised by the Airborne would this have held radios, parts etc and how would it have arrived? I am assuming glider. Also, what is it worth approximately? I don't want to sell it I'me just trying to work out if I paid too much . My wife has fallen in love with it and it is already doing duty as a table, therefore it's allowed to be on display in the house I wish she felt the same about my uniform and helmet collection.

Many thanks once again.

Yours, Guy.
                      Im thinking to buy a basket to, and put a helmet in it so i can look in it when im forced to watch on of her favorite soaps!

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for all the info.

Hi Rene, good to hear from you mate .

Are you sure this could be a Parapack it's just that I don't really see anywhere for a harness to attatch. Unless it was lashed to a pallette and dropped like that or would it have been in one of the larger type panniers? Any info much appreciated! I am in the process of getting you a nice wing in the pattern you want so as soon as I have it i will send you a PM.

Jeroen, that is a brilliant idea!! I will fill it full of stuff to look at to numb the pain of East Enders.

Look forward to hearing more thoughts on this intriguing item.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Hiya m8,
                          it's not like the x-type parachute, it doesn't have a harness!!
                          Here's a picture of an Arnhem/Oosterbeek supply drop!!
                          Picture courtessy of http://www.arnhemarchive.org/

The parachutepack is attached to a droppingschute, the liners are hooked to the sides of the pannier,also a time device was added if the pannier was dropped from under a wing.
                          Is this enought info for ya m8?
                          Looking forward on recieving the wing, am busy with another one and then im finished with my bd's!!
                          Ok ill see tonight if you have posted a reply!!
                          Regards,Rene aka Maj.Cain
                          Last edited by Maj.Cain; 03-15-2005, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Rene,

Thanks very much for the info mate it is much appreciated
                            Look forward to speaking with you soon.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Hi Guy
                              I have 3 of these baskets in my collection, 2 small one large, they were designed to be used on mules pre-WW1 and are still in service today, they are a stores iteam used by all parts of the army, I have one market Signal Stores 1942 dated, one Marked RED Cross 1941, and one dated 60's, they were used by the Airborne but would have come in vehicles/Gliders etc, I have never seen evedence of them being dropped by parachute, (I paid between (£20-£40) for mine, but do fetch more if nice ones.
                              Hope this helps,
                              Gary Bainbridge

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X