SAS wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAS wings

Hello, can anyone tell me what an original set of WW2 SAS wings go for ? And can someone provide some original examples to view? Rwgards, Grant

Hello Grant,

I'll give you a basic outline, but there are other collectors on the Forum who no doubt can offer more details. Generally you'll be looking for one of three distinct styles of SAS wings produced and worn during the war.

The first were handmade wings, straight across the top of the wings, thickly padded, made in Egypt in 1942-43. This style is most often associated with the early L Detachment and 1st SAS members who served in the western desert. Often these first-style wings will have a metal rod with lugs or a set of poppers, sewn into the back of the wing as an attachment device.

The second style was also handmade but more standardized, fairly flat (not padded), with a slight upsweep to the wings, a line of white thread across the top of the wings, and with a distinctive purple shade of embroidered thread behind the canopy lines -- also made in Egypt around 1943. Probably associated with 1st SAS and 2nd SAS members who served in the desert or the Italian campaign.

A third style, usually called the 1944 pattern, was made in the UK in 1944-45. Worn during the campaign in Europe in 1944-45, but surplus stocks of these wings continued to be issued well into the 1950's. This style of wing was more standardized, slightly upswept wings, white thread across the top, dark blue embroidered thread behind the canopy lines. An interesting feature was the method of padding the wing -- typically a short piece of rope was sewn in between the reverse of the wing and the fabric backing. Be aware, this wing has been reproduced.

Attached are photos of well worn second-pattern and 1944 wings, from my collection. Probably best not to post photos of the backs of the wings. I haven't found a first-style wing yet, but hope springs eternal....

Prices will vary, depending on which style, provenance, and other factors. Expect to pay 300-400 US$ or more for a good 1944 wing, and two to three times that for the earlier examples.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Best regards,
    Donovan
    Attached Files

Comment

A few more WW2 SAS wings...

Keith
      Attached Files

Comment

Exceptional wings, Keith. So Grant, you'll see he has examples of first-style wings across the top row and in the center. All differing slightly by individual maker, but with common traits.

Good luck in your hunt. Jack Dutton-Roberts occasionally has 1944 pattern SAS wings available on his website, Chairborne Militaria, so you might check there.

Regards,
        Donovan

Comment

Donovan, sorry for the long and overdue reply. Many thanks for the detailed information in regards to original SAS wings. Your examples are excellent! Keith, thanks for posting your amazing collection! Still looking for an original example for my collection. I missed out on one that sold back in April on one of the Facebook fourms for $425.00. I keep looking. Regards, Grant

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X