Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British WW2 Map Case

Hey Guys,

Have you seen this type of map case before? Its similiar to the Airborne map case but different.
    Attached Files

Opened
    Attached Files

Comment

I believe they saw use early war 1939/40 and possibly in small numbers later on too. The one above is not mine but a friends. I am currently looking for one but you never encounter them?

Comment

Map Case

Des,
        The airborne one's I've seen in photo's have the "pen loops" on them, but they do have the quick clip on the top, unlike the standard P37 issue.

Gary J.

Comment

Hi Guys, I have seen these for sale in the past. Now I know you are after one Des, I will keep my eyes open for one for you

Where did this "Airborne" designation to the small map case come from? The first reference I think I saw of it was in the old "Militaria" magazine. But so many items get the old "A/B" issue title attached to them as a dealers sales/increased price ploy

I have a small 1945 dated Jungle green map case of the "A/B" style. I paid £5 for it. Still had the pencils in it.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Des,

I've seen these map cases in the past too. Someone told me that they were private purchase, available from officers outfitters and tailors. He based his assumptions on the fact that his has a label in, Geeves and Hawkes I think but can't really remember. Don't know if that's right or not but it makes sense.

Ade you are right mate, a lot of stuff has had the Airborne designation added to make it more desirable, the collapsable water bottle is another that springs to mind.

Re your jungle green map case; I too bought one last year for a fiver and am still absolutely chuffed to bits with it. Sounds silly as they werent used till post war but I just loved all the little design details. I really do like 44 patt stuff! that whole "Jungle Green" thing is very sexy. I've added a few pics so others can see how sad I am

Thought I might see you at Bedford, When you about next?

Yours, Guy.
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Des,
                I've seen these being sold as "artillery map cases" a couple of times now, but I can't confirm as I'm not an artillery expert at all.
                Seems a bit large for an airborne item.
                I don't know why the small folding ones are known as airborne map cases, it could indeed be keyword spamming by the seller. On the other hand, I don't recall seeing pictures of general infantry soldiers using it. Only airborne personnell and commando's.
                Luc

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess they are out there so!

Ade, I would definitely appreciate you keeping an eye out for me

Thanks

Comment

Taken from "Go To It!" pages 18 and 19

Comment

Second one

Comment

Thanks for the photos Jack. Not so sure about the second photo but the first one looks like a possible winner

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X