Help with a Canadian Para smock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a Canadian Para smock

Any advice on this one? It looks OK to me but I am bothered by the fact that the Pegasus patches ( in red ) are attached. aka a nice juicy target for a Nazi marksman.

Most smocks I have seen are pretty plain except for the wings on the breast.

Comments, good or bad?

Thanks, jawes
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hawesj; 05-10-2016, 04:18 PM. Reason: fix spelling

96 and 97

96 and 97
    Attached Files

Comment

98 and 99

98 and 99
      Attached Files

Comment

100 and 101

100 and 101
        Attached Files

Comment

Does the fact that the Pegasis patches are put on 'crooked' in relation to the 'Canada' tabs mean anything - both of them? The RSM patches on the lower sleeves are also interesting. If they're for real, this is a smock which should be attributable to a single man, or one of a very few at worst. If real, this is a fabulous find.

I have no expertise with Airbourne - there are lots of people who do and will, I'm sure chime in here - but I will note as a caution the current trend for fairly ordinary battle dress to be 'tarted up' with patches and tactical signs before being offered for sale. I'm not suggesting that this one is one of those, but I'd assume the price is high. Provenance is probably the key.

This free advice worth what you're paying for it, but intended to help. Good luck!

Comment

Canadian Smock

Well, the wing is a post 1945 variant of the Type 1. The Peg's are real and it is a nice smock. There are only two possibilities here...

1. No. 1 ARDC/ SAS Co. or CJATC members smock that has been decorated for some purpose.

2. Put together by a vet or collector.

The insignia makes it a post war monster and not 1CPB. They never wore insignia like this on their smocks EVER!

Some veterans of 1CPB ( including some FSSF members ) got hold of smocks after the war and decorated them like this for reunions etc.. A good example is one from Gerry ***adden FSSF/1CPB. So it could be a post war vet put together.

Ken

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
            Does the fact that the Pegasis patches are put on 'crooked' in relation to the 'Canada' tabs mean anything - both of them? The RSM patches on the lower sleeves are also interesting. If they're for real, this is a smock which should be attributable to a single man, or one of a very few at worst. If real, this is a fabulous find.

I have no expertise with Airbourne - there are lots of people who do and will, I'm sure chime in here - but I will note as a caution the current trend for fairly ordinary battle dress to be 'tarted up' with patches and tactical signs before being offered for sale. I'm not suggesting that this one is one of those, but I'd assume the price is high. Provenance is probably the key.

This free advice worth what you're paying for it, but intended to help. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for comments

I assume no smart paratrooper would wear cammo gear with red patches while facing opponents in the field. Kinda reverse mentality for wearing red when hunting...you want the other guys with guns to know you are there

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X