Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian MK3 Helmet Camo, Yes?

hi,
    picked this up locally. My knowledge of Australian WW2 helmets is nil, is this indeed an Australian MK3 Brodie Helmet Is it all original including paint. If yes where would this camouflage have been used.
    cheers Robert
    Attached Files

Australian Helmet

more
    Attached Files

Comment

Australian Helmet

Liner
      Attached Files

Comment

The shell looks like a rimless Brodie (WW1) to me.

Could have been refurbished for WW2 use.

Comment

Hi Robert,

That looks like a nice complete example of an Australian Mk II helmet, rather than the Mk III which I believe was only ever made in Britain. The Mk III over the date stamp refers to the model of chinstrap lug, not the actual helmet.

Your helmet seems to have all the typical features: rimless edge, rough finish and Aussie liner and chinstrap. It is not a WW1-era rimless helmet; Australian Mk IIs did not have a rim fitted as standard. This is clearly a WW2 helmet from 1942.

The only thing I can't say is whether this has any kind of camouflage finish or if it is just paint marks or staining post-war. The bright green paint almost looks accidental rather than a deliberate camouflage (although it could be entirely authentic). I don't think it's possible to say a specific theater based on the finish - these helmets were used in many locations. The liner looks almost unused, in which case the helmet probably never left Australia at all.

Matthew

Comment

I agree about the paint: may be a product of the aging process, rather than a deliberate attempt at camo. A very nice lid, however, especially for an Antipodean collector.

Comment

Australian Helmet

thanks for that info, it did not cost much so I will keep it. A close inspection indeed shows appears unused. Still will display nicely.
              thanks Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X