Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military Medal

Hello,

Is there a dead cert visual way of telling a copy George V Military Medal from a good one? Or is it a touchy feely thing?

Thanks in advance.

Tony<O</O

Tony,

I've encountered a few different types of copy Geo V MMs now. They range from rather crude silvered white metal or zink cast jobs, right up to real silver examples. I have never personally encountered one with a swiveling suspension and I think this is generally a good way to identify a definite copy. Other members may have encountered copies with swiveling suspension so I cannot say this is a foolproof method, but safe to say...anything that doesn't swivel...walk away!

There have been an alarming number of spurious MMs on the market in the past couple of years or so, unnamed and advertized "as awarded to foreign nationals" or something similiar. There certainly were unnamed awards made to allied soldiers, however, these are rather few and far between and the number that have been turning up is definitely not in line with what we would expect, so exercise caution.
    There are a fair number of copies on ebay all the time so you may want to have a look there and compare the photos with known originals. I'm sure you can pick up on a few more sublteties that way as well.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X