How to spot a real RFC cap badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to spot a real RFC cap badge?

Hi, I have what looks like a nice pre-Mk I RFC flying helmet, with 1st pattern goggles. It’s unmarked and I know at that stage nearly all were private purchase. I have a ratty Mk I on the way (with the rectangular ear flaps with the three inline press studs and cylindrical wind deflectors). Also just got a Triplex AB goggle mask and a bonafida pair of split frame Triplex 'Featherweights'.

Now I'd like to get a RFC cap badge, but the choice is legion. How do you spot a real one?

Do all originals have a makers name or mark on the back? I saw somewhere about a 'bridge' linking the top of the F to the crown being a sign of a fake, but am unable to see what this means. I guess always ‘brownie’ bronze rather than gold or orangey coloured copper? Any opinions on details? How many companies made them?

Seen some stated as 'original' for less than 20 quid, but others seem in the 40-200 range, depending on condition. I know a high price does not guarantee authenticity and have picked up some real bargins, so hate to pass something up just because its cheap.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Steve
    Attached Files

My bet is that there will be extensive discussion of this on the Brityish Badge Forum, both in the RFC/RAF forum and the one on 'Fakes'. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Peter for pointing me in the right direction
      Regards
      Steve

Comment

Sorry, but where is the British Badge Forum?

Comment

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/

But beware, separating opinion from fact on their is sometimes difficult!

Comment

Thanks. As in life!

It's something I've noticed is that if I ask qquestions on the German or Japanese side I get facts backed up with the source of the information. When asking about British stuff it's almost always opinions. Does this reflect British military record keeping?
            Regards
            Steve

Comment

I suspect rather that it reflects, on that forum, a bunch of collectors who know each other and rarely feel the need to haul out their sources. There are certainly lots of good books on Br badges.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X