Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder Flashes

Hello gents,

Yesterday I attended in military show in which I met an interesting gentleman with various WWII items. I picked these British insignia up for 20 USD from a giant box he had sitting behind his stand. I'm regretting not picking up more but as I don't know British war-era insignia from postwar insignia I didn't want any chances.

Not an expert but I'm pretty sure the Commando and SAS are Indian made modern copies. Can't say aboput the other two but for those prices either the man is a fool ort they're all copies.

[Now waiting for shower of s*** to descend. ]

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
      Not an expert but I'm pretty sure the Commando and SAS are Indian made modern copies. Can't say aboput the other two but for those prices either the man is a fool ort they're all copies.

[Now waiting for shower of s*** to descend. ]
      Well the man stated he bought a majority of them in Canada, but had no idea whether the insignia was WWII or not and didn't want to give me an absurd price if the patch wasn't original WWII. Either or, if the patches are fake, at least I didn't take too much of a hit.

Comment

The SAS title is a keeper as it is the one supposedly worn by the 5th SAS which were volunteers from Belgium.

Comment

The bulb is ok too. I can't speak for the rat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonomachi View Post
            The SAS title is a keeper as it is the one supposedly worn by the 5th SAS which were volunteers from Belgium.
            Cool! Glad to hear something in this lot is original!

Comment

Originally posted by brooksbz View Post
              The bulb is ok too. I can't speak for the rat.
              Bulb meaning the smaller parachute flash? If you don't mind me asking either, what was it for? I have no idea what it is haha.

So out of the entire lot, 2 bad you think?

Comment

The white parachute patch is known as a "lightbulb". Qualified paratroopers when assigned to non-parachute units (like glider units) wore the lightbulb in lieu of their wings.

Comment

The bulp is a postwar example ... SAS is a wartime Belguim one ... Commando is a post war one as well and the rat seems to bee a good one ... nice find

Comment

Originally posted by vd Lubbe View Post
                    The bulp is a postwar example ... SAS is a wartime Belguim one ... Commando is a post war one as well and the rat seems to bee a good one ... nice find
                    Okay, so how does a postwar bulb differ from a war-time bulb? Because someone said earlier it looked alright...

Comment

"Well the man... had no idea whether the insignia was WWII or not and didn't want to give me an absurd price if the patch wasn't original WWII."

Clearly, I owe him an apology! An honest man! Next time I'll keep my uninformed opions to myself and let the experts chime in instead. [embarassed icon here]

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X