demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slouch Hat Australian, your thoughts please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slouch Hat Australian, your thoughts please.

Hi Guys,

I'm in somewhat of a rush here. I've got this WW2 era slouch hat on the line. It looks okay to me, but I don't own one and I can't be 100% certain. However, everything to seems to be alright to me.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jamie.
    Attached Files

More pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

looks good to me

Comment

Grommets look painted and it should have a makers mark, in code perhaps, also the pug band looks a bit fresh. It should have Carr Aust on the popper and maker marked/dated on the sweatband.

Comment

I am watching this thread to learn, as I would like to add one of these to my collection someday, so please excuse my ignorance but what is a "popper" Jerry? Is that the snap or part that holds up the one side of the hat? Is Carr Aust the makers name? Were they the only maker on period hats?

Are the grommets supposed to be painted, or not?

Comment

Should have a date makers mark on sweatband , the badge looks heavily polished yet no sign of brasso on hat . Rob

In fact the badge looks of poor quality perhaps locally cast ?
            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Jamie,
              The hat looks fine but the pugaree isn't WW2 issue Australian. Perhaps a new addition considering that finding original pugarees to fit hats is next to impossible. No issues with the Rising Sun as quality varied significantly; it looks original to me. Not sure how Jerry can determine that the grommets are painted from these low quality pictures. The snap looks a little bit flattened on one side from these photos.
              It is a very typical 1942 to 1945 period slouch hat (apart from the pugaree).

Mark

Comment

The description of the hat from the seller's website:

The classic World War II fur felt Australian Army bush hat, with wide pleated cotton hat band and full interior leather sweat band. An interesting aspect to this hat is the cap badge, which is a World War II period badge that was modified by hand to convert the "King's Crown" into the "Queen's Crown" that was used after Elizabeth II ascended to the throne following the death of her father, King George VI, in 1952. Overall excellent used condition.

Comment

The sellers explanation for the odd badge explains the 'polishing', I suppose, as one doesn't normally Brasso blackened badges. Other than that, no opinion on this item. OTOH, it begs the question of why someone would 'convert' a KC to a QC. If he was still serving presumably he'd get a new issue badge. If not, why biother?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
                    Jamie,
                    The hat looks fine but the pugaree isn't WW2 issue Australian. Perhaps a new addition considering that finding original pugarees to fit hats is next to impossible. No issues with the Rising Sun as quality varied significantly; it looks original to me. Not sure how Jerry can determine that the grommets are painted from these low quality pictures. The snap looks a little bit flattened on one side from these photos.

Mark
                    Mark, I blew the pics up and the red appears to spread onto the fur felt, though perhaps not. A look at the grommets and any markings on the SB would be good to see.

Interesting about the badge!

Comment

Hi guys,

I mentioned to seller what issues I thought there were and let them know I wouldn't be interested.
                      They were cool about the whole thing.

And then my wife Lisa had a great idea!

Last night we decided to buy it anyhow, not for my collection but for Lisa's Grandpa who is turning 100 later this year and it would make an awesome gift (he served in the Pacific). There are no markings and the Pug is wrong, however I think the hat, its fixtures and badge are period manufacture. I can with luck and help find an original Pug to replace the existing.
                      I don't think the grommets have been painted, but I'll let know once in hand, and I have no idea why someone tried to clean the Rising Sun, or what the description is about

Thanks for helping. I know Keith will be over the moon to receive the hat, he's very proud of his service during the war. Keith also has the distinction of Chairing the only Mason meeting in the Pacific theatre outside of Australia during the war. When the time comes I'll revisit the thread and post some pictures of Keith & his new-old hat

Jamie.
                      Last edited by muzrub; 04-22-2016, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Jamie,

Mark
                        I concurr with Mark but there might be concerns with the grommets. Jerry's observation might be right, if you look at the interior view of the hat you can see the colour of the grommets appear to be grey/green in colour. Better photos would confirm this.
                        Regards
                        Mike
                        Last edited by Mike39; 04-23-2016, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Hello Jerry,
                          I had a look at enlarged photos yesterday but immediately thought that any 'bleeding' was from the pixelation of the poor photos. If you look anywhere on that hat you can see areas that look reddish brown (at least on my screen).

Mike, the red brown of grommets on all of my slouch hats is only visible from the exterior. The interior on each is bare brass which would account for the colour that you see on the interior.

Jamie, my best wishes to Keith for his 100th birthday later this year and for his other special day on Monday, ANZAC day. He should be very proud of his service as part of a very special generation, the likes of which I don't believe will be seen again.

Mark

Comment

Hello Jerry,
                            I had a look at enlarged photos yesterday but immediately thought that any 'bleeding' was from the pixelation of the poor photos. If you look anywhere on that hat you can see areas that look reddish brown (at least on my screen).

Mike, the red brown of grommets on all of my slouch hats is only visible from the exterior. The interior on each is bare brass which would account for the colour that you see on the interior.

Jamie, my best wishes to Keith for his 100th birthday later this year and for his other special day on Monday, ANZAC day. He should be very proud of his service as part of a very special generation, the likes of which I don't believe will be seen again.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

If the hat were 100%, without a doubt ridgy-didge, it would be in my collection. But from what I can gather it's not quite there, which in this case is fine. And what I mean by not quite there is the lack of markings and the messed with Pug.

I agree with you about the grommets, and I'm more than happy to post photos after Keith's gift arrives (to resolve the issue). Keith is a tough old guy, who enlisted twice after being discharged for being shot in the head. He enlisted the second time around as a technician.
                            If I can find the correct Pugaree before November which fits I'd be stoked, but that wont be easy.

Eitherway this will be his gift and it will remain in the family from here on in. Resale value is not an issue and nor will authenticity (in terms of who it once belonged too and not whether it was "period" or not)
                            All that being said, there is good information here and if people wish to add more, their concerns and their own slouches please do.
                            We could turn this thread into something useful for others in the future.

Everyone's thoughts have been greatly appreciated.

Jamie.

Comment

Marvelous idea, jamie and I'm sure the old gent will be thrilled. Good on ya!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X