Northumberland Hussars collar dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northumberland Hussars collar dogs

I am looking for a nice set of KC type Northumberland Hussars Regiment collar dogs for an officers uniform restoration.

I found this set on web (brass set for officers + 1 single silver enlisted)...but it shows no patina so I am hesitant ...
    Is it WW 2 ? Sorry no back pictures... Looks so new...which scares me a little bit...as they're not cheap, so I wanted to make sure!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 04-17-2016, 07:24 PM.

I like this "quality" better but its a single...Buying a single makes it harder to find a good match...Thoughts? Go with the single?
    Attached Files

Comment

Secondly. the uniform appears to have had shouldertitles...
      Are these correct for WW2?
      If yes I would need a set of these as well...
      Attached Files

Comment

The war time made tunic is named to a Major who fought in Greece and Crete in 1941 as a Lieutenant and was evacuated to Egypt...
        made it out to continue the fight. The uniform is London tailored in January of 1945 and marked as Major, his war time end rank.

In 1951 he was interviewed for a book on the Crete Battle of which I found records in the NZ archives...
        He went on the reserve list in 1950 as a Major but based on the shoulderstrap scarring (post 1) he still promoted further to Lt.Col and Colonel.
        The seller (a vintage clothes dealer), did not research this piece of course...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NickG; 04-17-2016, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I think it is worth restoring at 45 UK pounds! I will go with General Service buttons as these NH Hussars regimental buttons will be very difficult to obtain!
          With the austerity measures I think a uniform from the 1944-1945 time frame would be fine with GS buttons...but the tailor is one of the best in London...
          who could have had better buttons! Oh well...
          Besides the usual campaign medals this officer also received the MBE and TD !
          ( the ribbon bar of his General Service medal, probably for Egypt, is still on the tunic...everything else needs restoring!)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NickG; 04-17-2016, 07:25 PM.

Comment

That will be a nice restoration Nick. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
              That will be a nice restoration Nick. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
              Thanks. All the missing parts to finish it are now located and shipped to me. Should have everything received sometime late next week.
              Updates to follow! Stay tuned!

Comment

Well I received the back pictures...appear to be silver in color...so NCO type?
                the fronts on the other hand are more gold toned...I was hoping these were brass...

Still appropriate for an officer tunic of this Regiment?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NickG; 04-19-2016, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I wish I could tell you Nick, but I don't know. If you don't get your answer here you could try on the British Badge Collector forum, or I could ask there for you.

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                    I wish I could tell you Nick, but I don't know. If you don't get your answer here you could try on the British Badge Collector forum, or I could ask there for you.
                    Thanks I just signed up with that forum this afternoon!

Comment

That's good Nick, but don't tell your wife I referred you to it. I'm sure having you sign up for another form is the last thing she would have wanted.

Comment

Making some progress!
                        Still waiting for the silver plated officers NH collar dogs + NH shoulder titles,
                        also in officers quality silver plate! (found out this was appropriate after all,
                        after I checked in the British badges forum

I love the beige color on this one. He served in Greece, Crete campaigns and evacuated to Egypt,
                        so he was fond of a lighter almost tropical (KD khaki) color uniform I guess even though its really a brown woolen continental uniform!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by NickG; 04-28-2016, 06:58 PM.

Comment

The tailor tag is ranked Major but during the war he was a Captain and retired as a Major in the 1950's so I am not sure why the tailor tag reads Major...
                          The uniform clearly has captain's rank scarring showing 3 pips (not a full colonel 2 pips and a crown...) Retired or rather withdrawn from active duty as a Major......
                          or could he have been promoted to L.Col and full Colonel while in the reserves? (after the war)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Showing his regimental button on the shoulder + the rank pips! One is a mis-match...on the other side they are totally matching! (Captain, covering up all the scarring!
                            I went with GS buttons but put 2 Regimental buttons on the shoulderstraps to show his regimental affinity...Not sure if that was really done...
                            but perhaps in 1945 it was harder to obtain a full set of Regimental buttons!
                            Attached Files

Comment

The components that are still missing...(on the way from the UK!)
                              2X Northumberland shoulder titles! (holes are there for these to be present!)
                              and the silver collar dogs!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by NickG; 04-28-2016, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X