Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFC wings

Hey everyone,

I am curious what the thoughts are on these RFC wings. No glow in UV, not an obvious repro--they seem to be padded in the back as opposed to being to rased and poofy like the repros I've seen.
    Only problem is that it is on a 1916 tunic, so I cannot investigate the backing. Thoughts anyone?

-Lee

Originally posted by LeeG
    Hey everyone,

I am curious what the thoughts are on these RFC wings. No glow in UV, not an obvious repro--they seem to be padded in the back as opposed to being to rased and poofy like the repros I've seen.
    Only problem is that it is on a 1916 tunic, so I cannot investigate the backing. Thoughts anyone?

-Lee
    Lee,
    I think they look good. While it would be nice to see the backside- the front looks like an 80 year old wing. The detail to the lettering and wreath looks like what I would expect to see in a WWI RFC brevet.
    Allan

Comment

That's a good one Lee

Comment

Looks good to me ,any cance of seeing the rest of the uniform .Rob.
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Here is the rest of the tunic--it is a 1916 tunic with artillery officer collar and shoulder tabs and buttons. The person I bought this from informed me that this was all an original unmessed-with RFC/artillery officer tunic. While I am skeptical of its authenticity as a complete original set, it does seems to be composed of all original, good-condition components including wings, artillery-badges and belt.

Special thanks to James ("aeroraider"), by the way, who has been kind enough to attempt an identification of this tunic's original owner by running a preliminary search through the 1918 RAF-rolls.
          Attached Files

Comment

The collar badges look a little small for Officers, also what is on the shoulder strap below the crown? It was not normal practice for Officers to wear shoulder titles on this Jacket.

Comment

Hi Marc, it would appear to have shoulder titles? I would agree although non regulation, I have an RE Officers tunic direct from the Vet himself that has these fitted. So the practice is not unknown.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Marc and Adrian,

Actually, the collar and shoulder parts are what raise a flag in my opinion on the tunic, as there appears to be a couple additional holes there. Could it be period? Sure, but it could also be a sign of postwar badging of the tunic.
                Anyways here is a closeup of collar, shoulder, badges and all.

-Lee

Comment

Here is a side shot of the RFC wings stiched to the tunic. It looks like an original application to me (nothing penetrating the lining, nothing glows, wear looks consistent, etc), but I just don't know...

Comment

The collar badges are the Soldiers (RE) version worn by the RA from 1926-1928. Since 1902 the RA Officers version is of 7 flames and at least twice the size of those on that Jacket. Most RA Officers Jackets also have pointed cuffs and a ticket pocket in the seam of the waist on the wearers left side. What is the Officers name?

Comment

Hi Lee, I would agree that the tunic has been played with to some degree. Look at the collar dogs again. These are RE collar dogs as they have the extra two flames Edit: Mark has just beat me to it!

Interestingly the tunic I mentioned to you that I have is also for a Major. I have a feeling that he placed the shoulder titles on his shoulder straps to help cover a pair of surplus holes left in them when he was promoted from Captain. Sadly he has now passed away and I cannot ask him. But I did mention it when he gave me the tunic but he was really more interested in telling me where he wore the tunic etc (which was excellent ).

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

The guys name is D. Maynard (see attached photo). So do you think that other than the collar badges, the rest of it is good? That is, the wings, the shoulder badges, the tunic?
                        Attached Files

Comment

From what I can see this looks like a collection of good, original (to their period...the badges being later as Marc pointed out) items married together to make a bit of a fantasy tunic.

The sum of the parts simply doesn't add up for me.

Not even sure what to suggest as it's hard to say what, if any, insignia is original to the tunic.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

I have not found any "D. Maynard" listed in the 1915 to 1917 Army List.

Comment

Thanks for the research Marc.

So it seems that I have a 1916 tunic that is either postwar-marked or mis-marked, 1920's collar tabs and real RFC wings.

Well, it could be worse. I am contacting the seller to let them know of all findings.

Thank you so much, all of you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X