Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What ribbons would this SAS soldier be wearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ribbons would this SAS soldier be wearing?

In this 1942 picture of Lt. Edward McDonald with the S.A.S. in North Africa, what ribbons would you say he is wearing at this point in the war? I am thinking the one on the left may be the pre-war General Service Medal, but I am not sure about the one on the right.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WWIIBuff; 03-28-2016, 09:52 PM.

Without looking him up I should imagine it's a DCM followed by the GSM. DCM awarded prior to commission.

Regards, D.

Comment

Thanks. I tried to look him up on the internet, but could not find anything.

Comment

Dcm

Don is absolutely right:

http://www.specialforcesroh.com/show...cDonald-Edward

From memory I believe that McDonald served in No 11 (Scottish) Commando where he impressed the legendary Paddy Mayne and took part in the Litani River operation in the Lebanon, before joining the SAS. He appears in the iconic image of David Stirling standing next to bearded, jeep-borne SAS soldiers that's featured in many books.

All the best

Paul.

Comment

Thanks for the link Paul.

Comment

Hi Guys, I'm back with a couple more questions about what you think Lt. McDonald is wearing in this picture, and the few of him in the Jeep. I'm doing up a mannequin of him, and would like to be as accurate as possible.

So my questions are about the border color of his pips, and the color and material of his cravat or scarf.

I found a scale figurine on the web of Lt. McDonald and they have the border around his pips as red. I guess they could be red for infantry, but in my experience red does not show up that dark in black and white photos. Any other suggestions since he came from the Cameron Highlanders?

Regarding the cravat, it does not appear to be silk, it looks thicker and rougher. It almost looks like wool, but in the desert? Was there any type of tradition you guys know of that the British soldiers may have done to create their scarves or cravats? Like tearing a bed sheet or blanket or something?

Regarding the cravat color, the figurine I found had it painted an olive green. I suppose that might make sense, but are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

John
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
              Hi Guys, I'm back with a couple more questions about what you think Lt. McDonald is wearing in this picture, and the few of him in the Jeep. I'm doing up a mannequin of him, and would like to be as accurate as possible.

So my questions are about the border color of his pips, and the color and material of his cravat or scarf.

I found a scale figurine on the web of Lt. McDonald and they have the border around his pips as red. I guess they could be red for infantry, but in my experience red does not show up that dark in black and white photos. Any other suggestions since he came from the Cameron Highlanders?

Regarding the cravat, it does not appear to be silk, it looks thicker and rougher. It almost looks like wool, but in the desert? Was there any type of tradition you guys know of that the British soldiers may have done to create their scarves or cravats? Like tearing a bed sheet or blanket or something?

Regarding the cravat color, the figurine I found had it painted an olive green. I suppose that might make sense, but are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

John
              Wool is plausible. Look at the guy standing next to the jeep...he is wearing a heavy coat.
              Don't forget it freezes in the desert by night!

Comment

He's wearing a RN issue Duffle coat.

Comment

Here's Monty wearing one in his caravan.
                  It was at the I W M a decade ago

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post

Here's Monty wearing one in his caravan.
                      It was at the I W M a decade ago
                      Nice.

Seems like Monty put some photos of German Generals on his wall.

Comment

From what I remember reading he liked to look into his adversaries faces to "know" them.
                        I believe the trailer was captured Italian rolling stock.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
                          Wool is plausible. Look at the guy standing next to the jeep...he is wearing a heavy coat.
                          Don't forget it freezes in the desert by night!
                          Yes, "the guy" next to him (Col. David Stirling, creator of the S.A.S.) is wearing a typical "Duffel" coat as worn by Royal Navy and Army personnel, just like the "Tropal" coat was worn by the L.R.D.G. It is very cold in the desert at night and early morning, so this shot was probably taken early in the day.

However, McDonald and the rest of the S.A.S. patrol are all in shorts and shirts with their sleeves rolled up, probably prepared for the heat of the day, so why a wool scarf? Maybe it is wool and he just planned to take it off later as the temperature rose.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X